Kaneville Township, village, celebrate 175 years
Kaneville Township and the village of Kaneville are celebrating the 175th anniversary of the settling of the township this weekend.
From 1 to 3 p.m. Saturday, people can tour two 1840s farmhouses, the Farley and Benton houses. Both are owned by the Kaneville Township Historical Society, and are on Lovell Street, across from the Kaneville Fire Department. There will also be an ice cream eating contest for children at Hill Store at Main Street and Harter Road, and water fights and touch-a-truck at the fire department, in the afternoon. Hayrides drawn by Belgian horses will be offered throughout downtown Kaneville.
At 8:30 p.m. Saturday there is a fireworks show at the Werdin Community Center, Main Street and Harter Road. Back Country Roads will play a concert at 7 p.m., and resume its show after the fireworks.
At 9:30 a.m. Sunday Kaneville United Methodist Church will conduct a church service in back of the community center, and display some of its historical artifacts inside the center. Besides the regular congregational offering, a collection will be taken to support the Elburn Food Pantry.
At noon, there will be a potluck lunch at the center. The township will provide the meat; guests are asked to bring a dish to pass. For dessert, they will slice birthday cake at 1 p.m. That's also when residents will be asked to gather for a township picture.
At 1:30 p.m. Sunday, a dozen people will portray notable past residents of Kaneville during a "cemetery walk" at the Kaneville Cemetery on Main Street.
Then there are pickup softball games at 3 p.m.
According to the village's website, the first settlers built a house on Perry Road in 1836. The village grew from furrows plowed for a stage coach to follow, from Batavia to Dixon.