Fire damages Vernon Hills townhouses
Two Vernon Hills townhouses were left uninhabitable after a fire broke out Thursday afternoon.
At 12:39 p.m. Countryside Fire Protection responded to a fire call on the 300 block of Cherry Valley Road in Vernon Hills. The blaze broke out in the kitchen area of one unit, fire officials said. The unit was vacant and under renovation at the time.
All building residents were able to get out and no one was injured, Countryside Fire said.
The fire began after some copper pipes were heated up during a plumbing installation, Countryside Fire Protection said in a news release.
The renovated unit and the unit next door were left in uninhabitable condition, the release said. The fire caused an estimated $15,000 in damage.