advertisement

Man pleads guilty to leaving scene of crash that killed pedestrian in Sugar Grove

A man pleaded guilty Wednesday to leaving a crash that killed a woman who was walking her dogs in Sugar Grove.

Marc Wiskur, 47, of the 1800 block of Fays Lane, Sugar Grove, pleaded guilty to one felony count of leaving the scene of an accident involving death. Kane County Judge David Kliment will decide Wiskur’s sentence.

Elaine Zielke, 69, was struck and killed around 10:28 p.m. Oct. 12, 2024, on Fays Lane in the Dugan Woods subdivision.

Two callers to 911 reported a woman had been hit by a vehicle.

One of the calls came from a man who did not identify himself, did not give his address, and gave a false telephone number. The number belonged to a radio station. The caller said a blue Subaru hit Zielke. Prosecutor Ruth Walstra said Wiskur made the call.

Elaine Zielke Courtesy of Brian Zielke

The other caller said an SUV, possibly a Jeep, struck the woman.

Wiskur’s son, driving a sedan, stopped at the scene and was helping Zielke’s dogs. Police later approached the teen at his house and, due to his age, asked to speak to the teen’s father.

Marc Wiskur did not come to the door. But a grandmother who lived in a separate residence on the property looked for Marc Wiskur in the garage. When she opened the garage door, police saw a Jeep with damage to its hood and grille parked inside. The grille was warm, Walstra said.

Touch DNA from Zielke was found on the hood.

Wiskur was indicted and arrested in July 2025.

At a pretrial conditions hearing, Walstra said Wiskur told police he had been at a bar in Hinckley before the crash and a golf outing earlier in the day.

Wiskur could be sentenced to up to 15 years in prison. He remains free on pretrial release until sentencing Aug. 6.