How you can appeal property tax assessments in Maine Township

If you live in the Des Plaines or Park Ridge areas and think your property tax assessment is incorrect, Maine Township Assessor Susan Moylan Krey may be able to help.

Appeals to the Cook County assessor's office are possible, and Krey's staff can assist with that work, she announced this week.

"Our software allows us to run computer-based searches and provide residents with comparable properties very quickly, and it makes the process easier for residents," Krey said in a news release.

The Cook County assessor's office estimates property values, which determine assessed values of properties. A property's assessed value determines how much taxes the owner must pay.

Krey's office will offer the free service through Sept. 1. The deadline to file an appeal with the county is Sept. 8.

To get help from Krey's office, call (224) 257-4830.

Regardless of where a property is located in Cook County, owners do not need to hire anyone to file appeals. The process is free and can be done online at

For more about the assessment appeals process, visit

Maine Township Assessor Susan Moylan Krey
Article Comments
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the "flag" link in the lower-right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.