Communities » Park Ridge Area News
Did courthouse custodians counteract Cubs curse?If the billy goat curse that has plagued the Chicago Cubs since 1945 has been lifted, fans might have a pair of workers at the Rolling Meadows third district courthouse to thank for it.Last Updated Oct 20, 2016 10:04 PM
State Senate candidates Murphy, Thillens debate ties to party bossesPosted Oct 21, 2016 1:00 AM
Democratic incumbent state Sen. Laura Murphy and Republican challenger Mel Thillens fended off accusations from one another about being beholden to party leaders and special interests during a public debate in Des Plaines.
9th Congressional candidates differ on how many Syrian refugees to allowUpdated Oct 20, 2016 6:50 PM
How many Syrian refugees should the U.S. allow in? The two candidates running for the 9th Congressional District – Democratic U.S. Rep. Jan Schakowsky and Republican Joan McCarthy Lasonde – have starkly different opinions.
Imprisoned Elgin man charged with child rapeUpdated Oct 20, 2016 6:32 PM
A 35-year-old Elgin man in prison for a weapons offense has been charged with sexual assault of a child.
Dold way ahead of Schneider when it comes to campaign cashUpdated Oct 18, 2016 6:14 PM
As the race for Illinois’ 10th District seat in Congress nears the finish line, Republican U.S. Rep. Bob Dold’s campaign war chest dwarfs Democrat Brad Schneider’s cache.
Merge or not? Voters have final say in recorder, clerk officesUpdated Oct 18, 2016 6:12 PM
The Cook County Board of Commissioners voted 10-5 in July to allow voters to say whether the recorder’s office should be eliminated and services merged with the clerk’s office. If the proposal is approved by voters, the merger could be completed by 2020.
Round Lake Beach hosts upcoming debatesUpdated Oct 18, 2016 12:57 PM
The Round Lake Beach Cultural & Civic Cente will host candidate debates Sunday, Oct. 23 and Tuesday, Oct. 25 featuring hopefuls for Congress, the state legislature and Lake County officers.
A-minus at Loyola Academy fueled ‘Westworld’ creatorUpdated Oct 18, 2016 6:26 AM
‘Westworld’ creator Jonathan “Jonah” Nolan was inspired to write movies and TV by a Loyola Academy teacher.
How tollway's 'smart road' could make your commute easierUpdated Oct 17, 2016 2:10 PM
What are those steel gantries appearing on I-90? Welcome to the new smart corridor debuting soon on the Jane Addams Tollway, offering lane change info and real-time traffic reports.
- Water reclamation district salaries average nearly $100,000
- Dold, Schneider still at odds over Affordable Care Act
- Cook County court clerk hopefuls talk modernization, integrity
Park Ridge Calendar
Recently shared by others
- Neighbors in the News: Des Plaines schools staff honored for videos, handbooks
- COD Offers New Learning Community Classes for Spring 2017
- Writers Read Featuring COD Alums Draws Huge Crowds
- Register for the Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and other dememtias seminars on Wed. Nov. 2, with national expert Teepa Snow
- Gina Schrantz joins #PinkOut United Center to raise breast cancer awareness
- Local Historian to Speak in November About Cherry Mine Disaster, OLA School Fire
- COD Builds World-Class Electronics Trainers Funded by Perkins Grant
- Get your order in for annual Corned Beef Sale
- COD Nursing Student Named BrightStar Midwest Caregiver of the Year
- Elmhurst Symphony Orchestra Presents “Brass Fanfare II” November 13; Veterans to Be Honored
Local singing group, The Park Ridge Chorale, is seeking local World War II veterans to interview about their WW II experiences for inclusion in the historical narrative of their April 25 concert, “The Greatest Hits of the Greatest Generation”. “We will have some historical narration throughout the concert and would like to include a few personal veterans’ stories,” said Ed Zelnis, director of the chorale. “We plan to provide special seating for them at the concert as well.” The concert is Saturday, April 25, 7 p.m., St. Luke’s Lutheran Church, 250 N. Prospect, Parke Ridge.
Local WW II veterans are encouraged to call Rhet O’Neill, 847-699-8901, for more information. Adrienne Dimopoulos
- Pre-Kindergarten students at Aristotle Preschool and Kindergarten dressed up in different job professions. Choices include artists, police officers, doctors, and chefs children enjoyed a fun filled day. For more information visit: www.aristotlegreekschools.com Rita Petratos
"Dentist in Park Ridge celebrates 27 years in business"
Dr. Ross Rubino has had his dental practice in Park Ridge for 27 years. He opened in 1978 and hasn't lost the passion. Terri/Rubino
- Piotr Andrzejeski of Des Plaines proudly displays his first-place trophy after taking home the title at the USTA 10-and-under tennis tournament held at Midtown Athletic Club in Chicago on April 27. Courtesy of Midtown Athletic Club
- Girl Scout Troop 40523 delivered cookies to the homeless at JOURNEYS | The Road Home in Palatine. The clients felt grateful receiving such a special treat. JOURNEYS | The Road Home
- Women gathered for a wonderful luncheon at the Inverness Golf Club April 30 to benefit JOURNEYS | The Road Home. JOURNEYS provides supportive services to over 1,300 homeless and at risk families and individuals annually. It also manages the PADS shelter program. The "Garden of Giving" Women's Luncheon raised nearly $8,000. JOURNEYS | The Road Home
- Layne Rotonda (left) and Katie Harper, both juniors at Maine South High School, in Park Ridge, Illinois have been named as 2015 Brine National High School All-Americans and selected to represent Team Illinois at the 2015 Brine National Lacrosse Classic to be held at the River City Sportsplex in Virginia, June 29-July 2. The Brine National Lacrosse Classic brings the top high school lacrosse players in the nation to one venue, where regional teams will compete for national recognition in front of NCAA lacrosse coaches. Visit www.nationallacrosseclassic.com Kelley Harper
- The Northwest Suburban Bar Association awards Antonia Kopec, DePaul Univeristy School of Law, the Timothy C. Evan's Scholarship of $4,000 with the Honorable Timothy C. Evan's, Chief Judge, Circuit Court of Cook County (left) and Dennis Favaro, president of Northwest Suburban Bar Association Foundation Adam Pasco
- Sarah Griebler modeling club member Sally Loeffler's mother's wedding dress at the Twentieth Century Club's benefit fashion show, "The Way We Were," in Park Ridge. Christine Provost
- Twenty-first Star Chapter NSDAR representatives brave the weather to ride in the Park Ridge Memorial Day Parade. Ann Michael
- I was a former Des Plaines resident and retired to Arizona in 2008. In Illinois I was a physical education teacher within the Chicago Public Schools for 34 years.....now I am employed as an Instructional Assistant within the Scottsdale School system. My new joy out here is hiking the many trails within the Sonoran McDowell Mountain Area. I came upon this Western Diamondback Rattlesnake during a hike a couple weeks ago....it was quite agitated but at least warned me with a very loud rattle! :) Gary Wojton
More Park Ridge News
- Park Ridge Sports
- Did courthouse custodians counteract Cubs curse?
- Park Ridge Business
- Merge or not? Voters have final say in recorder, clerk offices
- Dold, Schneider still at odds over Affordable Care Act
- District 63 invites Realtors to lunch
- Why cost of soda could surge in Cook County
- Suburbs call Cook County sick leave law ‘complete overreach,’ prepare to opt out
- Park Ridge Entertainment
- Suburban English teacher’s A-minus fueled ‘Westworld’ creator
- Park Ridge Opinion
- Endorsement: Yes to merge recorder, clerk in Cook
- Endorsement: Shapiro as Cook County circuit court clerk
- Endorsement: Schakowsky for Congress in 9th District
- Endorsement: Kim Foxx for Cook County state’s attorney
- Endorsement: Dold for Congress in District 10
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
Daily Herald Communities
- A Wonderful Place
- 42.01183, -87.841587