Man accused of stabbing girlfriend now facing attempted murder charge
A Carpentersville man arrested last weekend on allegations he stabbed his girlfriend in the chest and back now is facing a charge of attempted first-degree murder.
McHenry County prosecutors filed the new charge this week against Esteban Calleja, 43, citing the nature of the injuries suffered by the woman.
"Upon review of the investigative reports, including the summary of the victim's injuries, we opted to upgrade the charge," said Nichole Owens, criminal division chief for the McHenry County State's Attorney's office. "We are alleging he intended to kill the victim."
Calleja, of the 3000 block of Wakefield Drive, has been in custody at the McHenry County jail since early Saturday morning, when sheriff's deputies responding to a reported disturbance captured him trying to drive away from the woman's Crystal Lake-area home.
Sheriff's police said that during a dispute about 3:30 a.m. Saturday, Calleja stabbed the 38-year-old victim once each in the chest and back. The woman was treated at Centegra Hospital-Woodstock and released earlier this week.
Calleja initially was charged with aggravated battery, a Class 3 felony punishable by a two to five years in prison or probation. The new charge carries a mandatory six- to 30-year prison sentence.
His bond remains $20,000, but U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement has a hold on him because he is believed to be in the country illegally, meaning he cannot be released even if he posts the bond, according to officials.
Calleja is scheduled to appear in court on the new charge Aug. 20.