• Elgin police and sheriff's deputies investigating a complaint about guns being fired at 1:52 a.m. Sunday in the 11N300 block of Russell Road, found firecracker remnants, and more than 150 spent shotgun shells, rifle casings and .45-caliber bullet casings, as well as an unattended fire in a fire pit on the property. People who had entered the house when police arrived refused to answer the door. No charges were filed.
Contact information ( * required )
• Ten windows were smashed on an empty, bank-owned barn at 3:15 p.m. Sunday in the 43W100 block of Empire Road near St. Charles. The neighbors who reported it said they saw two people on the second floor doing the damage.
• A black Labrador retriever died after being struck by a hit-and-run driver who drove 15 feet into a yard in the 39W300 block of Route 20 near Elgin, it was reported at 11:24 p.m. Friday. The dog was in the yard.
• Between Christmastime and 11:59 p.m. April 14, someone stole a four-seat 15-foot aluminum canoe out of a yard in the 19N800 block of Winaki Trail, Algonquin. A trolling motor, a deep-cycle battery, a red life vest, a yellow seat cushion and two wooden oars were stolen out the shed next to the canoe, police said.
• Cody J. Nowicki, 18, of the 800 block of Timberwood Lane, Algonquin, was charged with possession of cannabis at 11:27 p.m. April 21 at Western Avenue and Miller Road, according to a sheriff's department report. He was also charged with driving without a light over his rear license plate.
• Someone stole 10 packages of horse bedding at 7:30 a.m. April 18 in the 11N800 block of Romke Road, Hampshire.