• A bullet was found at about 9:40 a.m. Wednesday in a hallway at Burlington Middle School, 44W303 Plato Road. A teacher notified school officials and the Kane County Sheriff's Office school resource officer. The school was placed on a soft lockdown for about three hours while school officials, sheriff's deputies and canine teams searched the school. No other contraband was found during the search and school was dismissed on time. School resumed normally on Thursday. The matter is still under investigation.
Contact information ( * required )
• Two water heaters and the copper piping connected to them were stolen at an unknown time in the last month from a vacant home in the 400 block of Sherman Avenue, according to police reports. The water heater also was stolen in a similar time frame from a vacant home in the 200 block of South Weston Avenue reports said.
• Someone used the bank card of a 91-year-old Elgin woman to make a $500 withdrawal Tuesday in Mt. Prospect and then additional transactions Wednesday in Chicago, according to police reports. The woman's son is her power of attorney and in possession of her card, reports said.
• The Elgin owner of a boxer mix dog was cited for having his dog at large with no collar or tags and for its dangerous behavior at about 11:30 a.m. Wednesday near the intersection of Seneca Street and Prospect Boulevard, according to police reports. The dog ran up to someone, jumped up and licked him on the face, reports said, and the individual said he felt threatened because the dog's saliva could have made him sick.
• An exhaust pipe on a GMC box truck was cut sometime between Tuesday and Wednesday while it was parked in the 1400 block of Main Lane, according to police reports. The damage is valued at $200, reports said.
• Fishing equipment and various tools and other equipment were stolen from a storage room between 1 and 5 p.m. Sunday from a home in the 800 block of Carl Avenue, according to police and reports.