Breaking News Bar
updated: 7/11/2011 9:53 PM

Overheated generator sparks fire on Glenbard East roof

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 
 

A generator which had been running since Glenbard East High School lost power during Monday morning's storm overheated, sparking a minor fire on the school's roof Monday evening, according to fire officials.

Firefighters responded to the school, 1014 S. Maine St., at about 6:25 p.m. and found the minor fire on the roof, which was quickly extinguished, said Lombard Assistant Fire Chief Jerry Howell.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

"The generator had been running all day due to the power outage," Howell said. "The exhaust pipe of the generator got so hot it started the roof on fire."

The only people inside the school when the fire started were maintenance staff, who evacuated when the fire alarm sounded and directed firefighters to the source.

"The fire alarm system worked and provided us with early detection that lead to as favorable an outcome as we could have expected," Howell said.

By the time the fire was extinguished, the building sustained about $20,000 in damages, according to fire officials.

No one was injured during the fire.

Lombard firefighters were assisted by crews from Oakbrook Terrace, Carol Stream and the Lisle-Woodridge Fire Protection District.

Share this page
    help here