Activate Your Free
Articles filed under Horse Racing
Former Arlington Heights mayor Mulder picked for horse racing board Jan 27, 2015 5:49 PM
Former Arlington Heights Mayor Arlene Mulder has been named to the state board that regulates horse racing. Gov. Bruce Rauner appointed the 20-year mayor to sit on the Illinois Racing Board today. The board sets the annual race calendar for tracks across the state, including Arlington International Racecourse.
Rozner: Mike Spellman will be dearly missed Jan 21, 2015 11:09 PM
Barry Rozner says his conversations with Mike Spellman were always a joy, filled with laughter and cheap shots, and quick phone calls often turned into an hour of nonsense. "He was my friend and I will miss him," Rozner writes about Mike in his column.
Imrem: Spellman truly a man of the people Jan 21, 2015 11:13 PM
Daily Herald sports writer Mike Spellman's death leaves a big hole in our hearts and a bigger void in our lives.
Good week for the McCaskeys Jan 10, 2015 7:45 AM
It took until the final days of 2014, but with just one sentence uttered by her son George, Virginia McCaskey took the title as Chicago’s most intriguing sports figure of the year.
Lots to love around town ... except bumbling Bears Dec 7, 2014 1:27 AM
Optimist Mike Spellman says there's a lot good going on in the Chicago sports world as long as you're willing to overlook the badness the is the Bears.
Spellman Scorecard: Bears don’t know how good they have it Nov 20, 2014 8:32 PM
You’d think Bears players would want to play as hard as they possibly can for Marc Trestman because I’m pretty sure they don’t know how good they have it right now.
These managers and coaches can carve up opponents Nov 7, 2014 12:17 PM
If there were separate Mount Rushmores for active managers/coaches in each of the four major sports leagues, I think it’s fair to say that Chicago right now would be represented on three of them by Tom Thibodeau, Joel Quenneville and Joe Maddon.
Bayern wins $5 million Breeders’ Cup Classic Nov 1, 2014 8:23 PM
Bayern won the $5 million Breeders’ Cup Classic by a nose, surviving a stewards’ inquiry prompted by multiple horses bumping near the start of the race. Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert had to wait, along with a crowd of 61,114 at Santa Anita on Saturday, to confirm that he had finally won North America’s richest race after failing in 12 previous tries. Bayern ran 1 1/4 miles in 1:59.88 and paid $14.20, $8 and $5.20 at 6-1 odds.
Bayern wins Breeders’ Cup by a nose Nov 1, 2014 10:17 PM
Bayern won the $5 million Breeders’ Cup Classic by a nose, surviving a stewards’ inquiry prompted by multiple horses bumping near the start of Saturday’s race. Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert had to wait, along with 61,114 at Santa Anita, to confirm that he had finally won North America’s richest race after failing in 12 previous tries. “It’s been so long waiting, I was like, ‘Lord, you can’t take it away from me now,’” said Baffert
Untapable wins Breeders’ Cup Distaff, jockey announces retirement Oct 31, 2014 11:37 PM
Untapable polished off an impressive year with a 1 1/4-length victory Friday in the Breeders’ Cup Distaff, with a pregnant Rosie Napravnik becoming the first female jockey to win the $2 million race in its 31-year history.
Kristufek’s selections for Breeders’ Cup Oct 30, 2014 6:52 PM
Racing handicapper Joe Kristufek of DAKRacing and Americasbestracing.net offers his top selections for the Breeders' Cup races this weekend at Santa Anita Park.
Untapable, Napravnik team up for Breeders’ Cup Oct 30, 2014 7:25 PM
ARCADIA, Calif. — Untapable and jockey Rosie Napravnik can close out a stellar year with a victory in the $2 million Breeders’ Cup Distaff. The path to the winner’s circle has been made a bit easier by the absence of defending champion Beholder. Beholder spiked a fever last week, removing the biggest threat from Friday’s headline race on the opening day of the two-day world championships at Santa Anita. Her absence cast Untapable in the role of the early 5-2 favorite for the 1 1/8-mile race. “We’re expecting a big race out of her,” said trainer Steve Asmussen, whose best finish in the Distaff was second with My Miss Aurelia two years ago. Asmussen followed a similar game plan with Untapable that he first tried in 2012. He sent the filly to California right after she won the Cotillion in Pennsylvania last month, giving Untapable extra time to settle in at Santa Anita. “Getting to California early has worked extremely well for our horses,” he said. Untapable and Napravnik have been together for all but two of the 3-year-old filly’s 10 career starts. They are 5 of 6 this year, including a victory in the Kentucky Oaks in May. The only blemish was a fifth-place finish against the boys in the Haskell Invitational. “She’s an extremely talented filly,” Asmussen said. “This is as good as she’s been and I feel really good because she’s run some strong races this year.” Napravnik has just one Breeders’ Cup victory in her career, winning the Juvenile two years ago with Shanghai Bobby. She has a mount in the $1 million Dirt Mile on Friday with Tapiture. It was a blow to Hall of Fame trainer Richard Mandella when he had to keep Beholder in the barn because of her illness. But he has a rooting interest in the Distaff — his son, Gary, will saddle longshot Valiant Emilia from Peru. The younger Mandella was disappointed for his father, but he knows Beholder’s absence improves the chances of the 11 horses in the race. “Beholder is the best mare we’ve seen post-Zenyatta,” Gary Mandella said. “The race is not easy but the field is lighter without her presence.” Valiant Emilia, who is listed at 20-1, is making her U.S. debut Friday after coming to Mandella’s barn two months ago. The 5-year-old mare wouldn’t be here except that she won a race in Peru that guaranteed her a berth in the Distaff. “I think she will be midpack,” Mandella said of her running style. “She’s kind of a grinder.” She will be ridden by Rafael Bejarano, a native of Peru, which has had just one other horse start in the Breeders’ Cup. Almudena was 10th in the Marathon two years ago. “There is a lot of emotion for everyone,” said Gabriela Alvarez-Calderon, the daughter of owner Bernardo Calderon. “All the people that follow racing will be watching tomorrow.” In Friday’s other Breeders’ Cup races: • Hootenanny is the early 3-1 favorite for trainer Wesley Ward in the $1 million Juvenile Turf, with Frankie Dettori aboard for the one-mile race. • Defending champion Goldencents is the shortest priced favorite among the day’s four races at 6-5 in the $1 million Dirt Mile. He is co-owned by Louisville basketball coach Rick Pitino. The trainer of record is Leandro Mora, subbing for his boss Doug O’Neill, who is serving a medication suspension and is banned from attending the Breeders’ Cup. • Sunset Glow is the early 7-2 favorite for the $1 million Juvenile Fillies Turf, giving Ward the favorites in both of the day’s races for 2-year-olds. Victor Espinoza will be aboard Sunset Glow in the one-mile race.
Spellman’s Scorecard: Maddon hiring will be a real treat Oct 30, 2014 9:28 PM
The main reason I’m excited about the anticipated arrival of Joe Maddon is that he’s universally respected. It’s been a long time since we’ve had a guy like that on the North Side. A real long time.
Calabrese loves his BC Sprint contender’s chances Oct 30, 2014 8:00 PM
Frank Calabrese, the Arlington Park legend, considers his 3-year-old Thoroughbred, Fast Anna, to be a "special" horse. He'll put that specialness to the test on Saturday in the $1.5 million Breeders Cup Sprint at Santa Anita (scheduled post: 6:01 p.m., NBCSN). Says Calabrese: “He’s smart, athletic and competitive, like his mother, and just like my sister Anna was.”
Shared Belief completes final Breeders’ Cup tuneup Oct 28, 2014 7:00 PM
Shared Belief, the morning-line favorite for the $5 million Breeders’ Cup Classic, polished off his final major training on Tuesday. While most of the horses for the championships on Friday and Saturday are already at Santa Anita, Shared Belief was a considerable distance away at Golden Gate Fields in Berkeley.
Not much ‘zazz’ at Wrigley since McDonough left Oct 24, 2014 8:17 AM
Doesn’t it seem like there’s been something missing around Wrigley Field for quite a while? And I’m not talking wins. Or even the bleachers.
Spellman: What a move to bring in Coach Q Oct 17, 2014 10:37 PM
Joel Quenneville's accomplishments include being one of only three coaches to reach the 700-win plateu, or his 270-127-60 regular season record with the Hawks or his .606 postseason winning percentage since arriving in town. I guess what I’m trying to say is simple: the guy’s a treasure.
Pieces all in place for Hawks practice facility near UC Oct 9, 2014 9:33 PM
A long 3-pointer from the Bulls new practice digs sits a lovely parking lot (which I adore for its convenience), but which I’m thinking will eventually become home to a brand-new, sparkly Blackhawks practice facility. And it should.
Female jockey punches another at Arlington Sep 29, 2014 5:12 PM
Two female jockeys ended their season with a bang — or rather a swing , at Arlington Park racetrack Friday, police said.
Kristufek’s Arlington selections for Sept. 28 Sep 27, 2014 7:00 PM
Joe Kristufek's selections for Sept 28 racing at Arlington International.
- Harper College promises two years of free tuition
- Mom asks Arlington Heights schools to ban peanuts
- Rozner: Bears show true colors with McDonald signing
- Keep the couch ma, but join Facebook
- This time, fortune favors Hoffman Estates
- Son's illiness causes Maryland coach Frese to 'enjoy the moment'
- In 2016 campaign, the lament of the not quite rich enough
- Author appearances: Tim Gunn signs newest book at Naperville's North Central
- Endorsement: Our choices for the College of DuPage board
- Julie Schmidt: Candidate Profile
- Trash bin fire causes smoke damage at Mundelein Goodwill
- Kuma's Corner coming to Schaumburg in July
- The sex discrimination trial that rocked Silicon Valley. What you need to know.
- Bulls thriving after being spurned by Melo
- Wheaton man charged with stealing from Downers Grove charity
- Ex-Islamic Foundation finance director admits theft
- Change in constitution is only permanent solution to pension crisis
- Rolling Meadows man charged with convenience store robbery
- Prosecutors: Employee stole $3,600 from Rosemont restaurant
- Elgin man charged with selling heroin near school
- Endorsement: Our choices for the College of DuPage board
- One Island Lake trustee candidate concerned about transparency, but other candidates are pleased
- Mom asks Arlington Heights schools to ban peanuts
- Lawmakers trying to figure out how to punish COD, exempt other schools
- What's really behind 'Homeland Insecurity'?
- Pension crisis is not real
- Residents with autism could see relief in dentist's office
- Harper College promises two years of free tuition
- Durbin statements show double standard
- Volo woman charged after bank robbery in Grayslake
- PET SITTER - ELGIN-BASED PET CARE PROVIDER SEEKING FULL TIME and PART TIME PET SITTER ASSISTANT. EMAIL RESUME TO ELGINPETSITTER@GMAIL.COM. (id:4401494) BILINGUAL THERAPIST - Bilingual Spanish Therapist, Elgin and Aurora -Masters with LCSW-LCPC. M-F, 35 hrs. + benefits. Apply: email@example.com. (id:4401929) ASSOC TECHNIAL DIRECTOR - Assoc Technical Director Assoc Technical Director: Oversee build, deployment & release processes, administer & manage a multi tiered distributed internet hosting infrastructure, resp for maintaining agile app support & development tools, & automation. Duties: collaborate w/cross-functional teams to implement maintenance changes & functional enhancements; provide leadership on implementation of configuration files, build & deployment templates; serve as the tech expert for DEV, QA, Staging & Production environments & execute multi branded releases; monitor system & app health; resp for on-call escalation for ops & app issues; monitor & ensure consistency of build; document How-To knowledge repository & friction points, common implementation problems & develop tech recommendations; provide tech support, assistance & guidance to Project Mgrs & Team Leads; administer & own build & deployment systems & processes; evaluate new tools & tech-nologies, presenting business case recommendations to agency & client mgmt; promote build & release process efficiency through automation using processes, existing tools & enhancements. Chicago loop location. Req's B.S. in Comp Sci & 5 yrs of post-degree, progressive exp as Project Lead. Exp must incl: a) Websphere Application Server, Tomcat, JBoss; Solution architect on Enterprise middleware technologies; b) performance mgmt tools (jProfiler, jProbe); c) systems & app monitoring software (HP OpenView, Nagios); d) Perl & Shell scripting; e) Internet/e-Com app development; f) Java build tools (ANT, Maven, Nexus, Jenkins); g) designing, installing & managing multi-tiered distributed hosting infrastructure, both Virtual (VMware, Citrix XenServer) & Cloud based (Rackspace, Amazon AWS, Eucalyptus); & h) change mgmt systems & version control tools (JIRA, IBM Rational ClearQuest, Subversion, IBM Rational ClearCase). Leo Burnett Company, Inc., 35 West Wacker Drive, Chicago, IL, 60601. Apply online at: www.leoburnett.com. EOE (id:4402713)
- DRIVERS - Drivers Se solicitan conductores Quality Carriers, la lnea de camiones cisterna No. 1 en EEUU est buscando conductores con licencia CDL-A con disponibilidad inmediata. Quality Carriers tiene ms de 100 aos de existencia, y cuenta con 100 terminales. Solicite hoy y compruebe la diferencia que Quality puede hacer en su vida! $5000 de Bono de Contratacin para Operadores Propietarios! $1000 de Bono de Contratacin para Conductores de la Compaa Hay Puestos para Conduccin en Carretera y Local Disponibles Ahora Solictud Sencilla en www.work4qc.com. Llame a Ken hoy 1-708-457-7600 Ofrecemos: Paga Mxima y Beneficios Equipo con Modelos Actuales Horario Regular Trabajo estable todo el ao Estndares de Seguridad Lderes en la Industria Disponibilidad de paquete completo de beneficios Para Calificar: Registro de Vehculos de Motor Limpio 22 aos o mayor Avalado por Hazmat o Tanker Habilidad de obtener la tarjeta TWIC 1 ao de experiencia en TT TANKER TOUGH Call 1-708-457-7600 (id:4400963) WAREHOUSE PT - Warehouse PT, no exp. nec., up to 30 hrs/wk, morning & afternoon shifts available. Start at $10/hr. Apply at 6450 Muirfield Ct, Hanover Pk, IL 630-671-0100 (id:4401971) CUSTOMER SERVICE - PART TIME SEASONAL - Job Description: Manufacturing company is seeking a Customer Service Representative. The position is part-time seasonal with potential to be re-hired. The hours include Monday-Friday 10am-3pm. Duties Include: Answers and addresses incoming calls regarding product and service questions. Processes customer orders for existing and new customers. Recommends potential customers to distributors by analyzing customer needs. Skills and Qualifications: Experience in Customer Service. Proficient with phone skills, resolving conflict and analyzing information. Solid multi-tasking and listening skills. Quickbooks-Office experience preferred Must qualify on E-verify. Spanish or Greek speaking is a plus. Send resumes to: LE@OPTIMALAUTOMATICS.COM (id:4400513)
- RESTAURANT - Restaurant -Ditka's in Arlington Heights is now hiring for ALL POSITIONS for both AM and PM shifts -servers, ser-ver assistants, food runners, bartenders, bar backs, hosts, line cooks, prep team, and dishwashers. Please apply in person between the hours of 2pm and 4pm. 2000 West Euclid Ave. (id:4401722) ACCOUNTS RECEIVABLE - West Chicago office looking for a full time person to perform credit, collection, and light data entry duties. $14 to $16 per hour plus full benefits. Email replies to firstname.lastname@example.org. (id:4402421) BINDERY OPERATOR - Arlington Heights manufacturer is looking for a full time second shift bindery operator. Should have experience using guillotine cutters, collators, and stitchers. Send resume to email@example.com (id:4402022)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.