Aurora First Fridays kicks off season with Food Truck Festival May 5
Aurora's First Fridays will kick off the start of the food truck season with its annual Food Truck Festival on May 5. Held by Aurora Downtown, the popular and free event will welcome more than two dozen food trucks to Benton Street from 5 to 9 p.m.
The rain or shine event originated on Downer Place and now makes its home on the Benton Street bridges. It brings thousands of visitors to First Fridays while unofficially kicking off the summer event season in downtown Aurora.
This year, the festival will feature several returning food trucks such as Grumpy Gaucho, Strawberries BBQ, Cheesie's, Happy Lobster, Wurst Kitchen, My Funnel Truck, and more. New trucks joining the lineup will include Chills Italian Ice, Little O's, Burrito Xpress, Go Doggy Run, A Sweets Girl, and others.
Throughout downtown, the First Fridays event lineup includes more than two dozen venues with activities for all ages.
• The Nolan Gallery, 33 S. Stolp Ave., will host its public grand opening from 7 to 10 p.m. The global fine art photography gallery recently opened and will feature Dulce Havana and Stillness exhibitions.
• Aurora Historical Society, 20 E. Downer Place, will continue its Ruth Van Sickle Ford exhibit on the first floor from 6 to 9 p.m.
• Aurora Public Art, 20 E. Downer Place, will host a poetry reading at 7 p.m.
• The ArtBar at Two Brothers Roundhouse, 205 N. Broadway, will host "Night at the Museum," a themed art show in the cafe from 7 to 11 p.m.
• McCarty Mills Taproom, 140 S. River St. Ste 108, will be open with RKN RMN Ramen Pop Up and featured artist DADASOULFACE from 5 to 11 p.m.
• Artesan Lofts Art Gallery, 2 S. Stolp Ave., will host "Is this it?," mixed-media oil paintings by Autumn Schaefer from 6 to 9 p.m.
• Zen Loft Wellness Center, 6 W. Downer Place, upstairs, will be open with "May Flowers," an art show and experience from 5 to 9 p.m.
• French 75 Gallery and Lounge, 56 E. Galena Blvd., will feature a spring cocktail and outdoor seating from 4 p.m. to midnight
• Catarinas Aurora, 36 W. Downer Place, inside Sergio Furniture, will be open with handmade Mexican art from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
• Endiro Coffee, 29 W. New York St., will feature live music by Cecy Santana. Enjoy aguita de melon, sweet cantaloupe juice, for the night only from 6 to 9 p.m.
• Wyckwood House Boutique and Cocktail Bar, 80 S. River St., will be kicking off its anniversary week with spring cocktails, shopping, and live music with singer, songwriter Jeremiah Higgins from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
• Tavern on Broadway, 24 N. Broadway, will feature live music by Ryan Worthy from 8 to 10 p.m.
• Altiro Latin Fusion, 1 S. Stolp Ave., will feature live Spanish Rock by Damian Rivero from 6 to 8 p.m.
• Aurora Tap House, 134 W. Downer Place, will welcome the Double Treble Dueling Pianos from 9 p.m. to midnight.
• Waubonsee Community College, 18 S. River St., will host its spring pottery sale featuring demos, a student art exhibit, screen printing, Pixelstick demo, Jazz Combos and Ensemble, Lenard Simpson III Quartet, and more from 5 to 9 p.m.
• Nuna Ceramics, 77 S. Lake St., will host Pottery Game Night from 5 to 8:30 p.m. Enjoy blindfolded wheel throwing, mini clay sculpture contests, s'mores, and more.
• ASU Cycles, 14 W. Downer Place, Suite 10, will be open with pop-up tarot card readings from Katherine at Huge Witch from 6 to 9 p.m.
• The Cotton Seed Creative Exchange, 64 S. River St., will feature henna by Izzy's Fine Designs, Gift of GAB DJ with 90's Hip Hop and R&B, Fresh Gems with tooth gems, Snow Cone Sisters, and shop discounts from 5 to 9 p.m.
• The Polished Peach Spa, 5½ W. Downer Place, 2nd floor, will offer $10 brow waxing from 6:30 to 9 p.m.
• Santori Public Library, 101 S. River St., will host "First Friday: Full Moon." Moon myths and legends, meet nocturnal animals, chat with astronomers, take an out-of-this-world photo, try Moon Pie, crafts, and more from 6 to 8 p.m.
• Amy Morton's Stolp Island Social, 5 E. Galena Blvd., will feature a First Fridays cocktail in celebration of Cinco de Mayo from 5 to 9 p.m.
• The Cornucopia Tea & Gift Shop, 63 S. Broadway, will celebrate their first anniversary. First 25 visitors will receive a door prize.
• Society 57, 100 S. River St., will be open with cocktails and food offerings from 6 to 10 p.m.
• G.A.R. Museum, 23 E. Downer Place, will showcase "Hidden Warriors: The History of Women in the U.S. Military" from 5 to 9 p.m.
• Do or Dye Designs, 24 S. Stolp Ave., will host Mother's Day Fun featuring skin rejuvenation demo of Tixel treatment by You+ and Mel's Beauty Works pop up shop from 5 to 8 p.m.
• Hoof and Horn, 14 W. Downer Place, Suite 16, will welcome Aurora Chef YudyCooks with Mexican pastries and treats from 5 to 9 p.m.
• FNBO, 140 S. River St., Suite 112, will be open with a pop up shop, finger foods, and refreshments from 5 to 9 p.m.
• Community Advocacy Awareness Network Business Entrepreneur Unity Expo, Water Street Mall, will host vendors and more fun to support the community from 5 to 10 p.m.
• Simply Destinee, 122 W. Downer Place, will host a vendor night from 6 to 8 p.m.
For more information and a complete map of First Fridays locations, visit auroradowntown.org.
Aurora Downtown is a nonprofit group of business and property owners within Special Service Area (SSA) One that works to achieve a healthy and thriving downtown for all to enjoy.