Elgin Theatre Company to hold auditions for 'A Christmas Chaos' Aug. 14-15
The Elgin Theatre Company will hold auditions for its upcoming production of Michael Wehrli's "A Christmas Chaos."
If you love fast-paced comedies, you'll love this satire of theatrical mayhem and Dickens' "A Christmas Carol," all rolled into one. This production, directed by Julie Price, is part of ETC's 2022-23 season.
Auditions will be held from 4 to 8 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 14, and 6 to 9 p.m. Monday, Aug. 15, at the First United Methodist Church, 216 E. Highland Ave., Elgin.
No appointment is needed.
For those who cannot attend these dates but would like to audition, email email@example.com for details.
This is an open call for audition for all roles. No prior experience necessary.
Be prepared to do cold readings from the script, and prepare a 1-minute comedic monologue, if possible. Bring all scheduling conflicts and a copy of your resume and headshot if you have one.
A read-through will be held from 6:30 to 9 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 21.
Rehearsals will be 1 to 4 p.m. Sundays, Oct. 2-30; 6:30 to 9 p.m. Mondays, Sept. 19 to Oct. 31; 6:30- 9 p.m. Tuesdays, Sept. 27 to Nov. 1; from 6:30 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays, Sept. 21 to Nov. 2. On Oct. 24-26, the rehearsals will be 7:30 to 9:30 p.m.
Tech Week will be 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Nov. 7-10, with a pickup rehearsal on Thursday, Nov. 17.
The read-through and most rehearsals will be held at First United Methodist Church of Elgin.
The production of "A Christmas Chaos" will be Nov. 11-20. Performances will be held at 8 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, and 2 p.m. Sundays in the Elgin Art Showcase, 164 Division St., eighth floor.
Gadzooks! The Royal Shakespeare Company hasn't arrived as promised to perform their stirring rendition of "A Christmas Carol." So our intrepid band of hapless actors and technicians must put together their own production!
What a pity that they are not quite up to the task, even though they give it their all. Have you ever experienced backstage mayhem? Well, you haven't seen anything yet!
The play focuses on these poor but dedicated thespians doing their best while chaos is all around them: two kids fighting over who gets to play Tiny Tim, a confused actor who thinks she's in another show, a haughty lead actor, one actor playing both Bob and Mrs. Cratchit, an out-of-control director, thrown together props and costumes, ridiculous scenery, and tons of flubs and confusion. Most of the actors in the show play multiple roles in this extremely fast-paced and physical comedy. Even the light and sound board operators are characters in the show!
The play is a hilarious backstage comedy that pokes fun at the classic novel and everything that can go wrong with a theatrical production.
"A Christmas Chaos" has roles for four men; six women, six either; all ethnicities.
• Gregory, Scrooge (M) -- Considers himself a 'professional actor' and is appalled when others don't take the craft seriously. Strong willed.
• Donovan, Director (M/F) -- Enjoys being a director but frequently loses his cool when things go awry. He's doing his best to keep it together.
• Lyssa, Stage Manager (M/F) -- Tough, no-nonsense type.
• Martha, Writer, Narrator (M/F) -- Considers her elf real writer. Loves to show off her vocabulary.
• Brynn (M/F) -- Talented yet very flighty, easily confused.
• Marina, Tiny Tim 1 (youth, F) -- Strong-willed. Used to getting her own way.
• Ryan, Singer, Tiny Tim 2 (youth, M) -- Considers himself the child star of the area.
• Nan, Fred, Christmas Future (F) -- Was the understudy for the production. Suffers from stage fright. Shy and nervous.
• Duane, Musician, Bob Cratchit, Fan, Belle (M) -- A goofball. Thinks he's a good actor, but tends to over play things. In a relationship with Pamela and they frequently butt heads.
• Sara, Serious 2, Christmas Past, Christmas Present, Businessman 1 (M/F) -- Loves to ad-lib or find humor in everything. Frequently amuses herself.
• Robert, Serious 3, Peter, Businessman 2, Husband (M) -- Loves being involved in the theater even though his talents are minimal. He strives to do his best.
• Amy Jo, Serious 3, Charity Lady, Mary (F) -- Very quick on her feet. Can always make the best of a tough situation.
• Linda, Serious 1, Marley, Bob, and Mrs. Cratchit (F) -- Strong actress that loves a challenge. Able to ad-lib well and roll with whatever is presented to her. But has a tendency to go overboard.
• Pamela, Musician, Young Scrooge, Boy (F) -- Strong-willed and hardheaded. In a relationship with Duane and they frequently argue. Tends to "lose" herself in her roles.
• Johanna, Light Board Operator (F) -- Loves being a "techie." Has worked with the director before and knows how to handle him.
• Megan, Sound Board Operator (M/F) -- Probably a volunteer. Doesn't take her job seriously. Is mainly there to hang out with the cast and crew.
The age ranges listed above can be flexible.
Note: Actors will be asked to help however they can with costumes, props, and set pieces.
All actors must be vaccinated and show proof of vaccination at the auditions. Masks will be worn in rehearsals.
This production is funded in part by a grant from the Illinois Arts Council Agency.