Call for artists: Friends of St. Charles Public Library to showcase sculpture in the garden
The Friends of St. Charles Public Library is seeking to place an exterior sculpture in the terraced garden area for the St. Charles Public Library.
The exterior sculpture will be permanently displayed in the terrace garden area with specific location to be recommended by the artist.
This is an opportunity to showcase your work and be a part of a historic place in the community.
The St. Charles Public Library is nestled in the heart of the city of St. Charles, Illinois. It rests near the beautiful Fox River and is home to many fine art pieces.
The library's artwork is featured in the "Art and Architecture in Illinois Libraries" database, old.library.eiu.edu/artarch/.
With over 200 pieces of art, including exterior sculptures, the library is proud of its varied collection.
Professional artists are being solicited to submit resumes, references and ideas which are to meet the following criteria:
• All professional artists are welcomed to submit their artistic ideas, renderings or samples. Preference will be given to local artists who reside in the Fox Valley area.
• The work is to be displayed outside (open to the elements) in the newly created terraced garden of the St. Charles Public Library building. The exact location is unspecified; recommendations can be made within this space.
• The piece should be a thoughtful work, considerate of its prominent location in a public library.
• The committee is looking for something whimsical to go along with the natural theme of the landscaping and its proximity to the Youth Services department.
• Budget up to $10,000, which should include delivery, and everything needed for installation (i.e. base to be included if needed).
Digital submissions should be sent to email@example.com for consideration by Sunday, Feb. 13.
Artists may send up to five images and should include details of the submission. This should include form, medium, dimensions, etc. If the files are too large for submission, a physical portfolio can be mailed into the library Attn: Edith G. Craig (One South Sixth Avenue, St. Charles, IL 60174).
Because of the constraints of the space, submissions must meet the following restrictions: The work, whatever its dimensionality, should be near a patron walkway so as to not tempt patrons to walk in landscaped areas (i.e. artwork should be placed on level surface or near a landing). Artist is able to walk the space at any time library is open.
All submitted works will be considered by a jury made up of committee members. All artists who submit work for consideration will be notified of the jury decision by Thursday, Feb. 24.
Questions? Contact Edith G. Craig, library director, at (630) 584-0076 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.