Arlington VFW Post 981 funds from Poppy Days helps veterans groups
Arlington Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 981 received more than $7,000 in donations from local residents this May during its Memorial Day Poppy weekends in Arlington Heights and Buffalo Grove.
That money has now been channeled by Post 981 to a number of organizations helping active duty service members and veterans. These organizations were vetted and all are active in the Chicago area.
Recipients of checks from VFW Post 981 included:
• K9s For Veterans, providing veterans with service dogs and the necessary food and medical care for the dogs.
• Midwest Veterans Closet, which helps homeless or at-risk of homeless veterans.
• Help USA Troops, which sends boxes of care and comfort items to service members stationed in harm's way
• Fox Lake American Legion Post 703 hosts patients from Lovell VA Hospital for a winter holiday party and summer barbecue.
VFW Post 981 will be funding additional organizations from its financial resources in the near future.
• Submit 'Your News' at www.dailyherald.com/share.