Batavia's Quarry Beach celebrates centennial June 27
Join the Batavia Park District in celebrating the Quarry's centennial with throwback games, music, and giveaways on Sunday, June 27.
"Through the Ages: Hall Quarry Beach Centennial Celebration" will be 1 to 6 p.m. at Hall Quarry Beach, 400 S. Water St.
Learn more at bataviaparks.org/harold-hall-quarry-beach. Daily admission is $10 for residents and $13 for non-residents.
According to the Batavia Historical Society website, Frederick H. Beach bought the land on which the Barker Quarry stood in 1920 and donated it to the Batavia Township Park Board. A swimming area was created, and the area was named the Frederick H. Beach Park and Pool. In June 1993, the restored facility was unveiled, and the swimming area is now known as the Harold A. Hall Quarry Beach in Frederick Beach Park.
Stone from the Barker quarry, the largest quarrying operation in Batavia, went into the building of the Chicago and Northwestern bridge in Geneva and the Challenge Company buildings. A great deal of stone went into the rebuilding of Chicago after the 1871 fire and the construction of Northern Illinois University in DeKalb. Many of these stone buildings still stand in Batavia.