MHS student newspaper earns seven IJEA awards
The staff of Mundelein High School's student-produced newspaper, The Mustang, earned seven awards in this year's Illinois Journalism Education Association's Newspaper & Digital News Media Contest (Division 3) after a year in which the staff had to find alternative ways to interview, report and publish during a pandemic.
"'Perseverance' is the best word I could use to describe this year's staff," adviser Michelle Didzbalis said.
"The staff was small with two editors and six reporters; five of those reporters being freshmen who had to learn how to do journalism remotely in a school setting they were new to themselves. Yet the staff was always willing to go to plan B, C, D or Z to get their articles done. They should be proud of what they were able to accomplish this year given the circumstances," she said.
While the staff normally produces six editions a year, this year's staff focused on creating content solely for its online platform and a printed Class of 2021 senior edition that came out in May.
Below are the seven awards the staff received; individual articles can be reviewed at mhsmustang.com.
• Second place for Best Photo Gallery or Photo Slideshow: The Mustang Staff for "Fall athletics adapt to COVID-19 safety regulations."
• Second place for Best Headline: Ashley Cline for "Daylight Savings: Obligatory but Obsolete."
• Third place for Best News Story: Ashley Cline for "When social media, Wall Street Clash: Students, staff reflect on January's stock market short squeeze."
• Third place for Best Personality Profile: The Mustang Staff for "MHS alumna recounts journalism experiences, gives advice to The Mustang newspaper staff."
• Honorable Mention for Best COVID-19 Coverage: Megan Burns for "Mundelein band finds new ways of teaching during pandemic."
• Honorable Mention for Best Sports News Story: Sarah Parduhn (Class of 2020) for an article from last spring titled "Boys swim and dive team makes history with sectional win."
• Honorable Mention for Best Hybrid Publication (publications that appear both in print and online): The Mustang Staff.
• To submit Your news, go to dailyherald.com/share.