Aurora's First Fridays celebrates Pride, Arts Weekend June 4
First Fridays will feature more than two dozen venues open with art, music, and more on June 4. The evening will kick off a two-day Aurora Arts Weekend on June 4-5.
June's First Fridays also celebrates Pride Month with the following activities.
Paramount School of the Arts, 20 S. Stolp Ave., will present "Paramount Pride" from 5 to 9 p.m. with LGBTIA+ artists and vendors including Culture Stock, Hector Ortiz jewelry, and Tarot Card readings from Annie Hex. Guided school tours will also be available. Free Pride WERQ fitness classes in front of North Island Center, 8 E. Galena Blvd., from 6 to 7 p.m.
Santori Public Library, 101 S. River St., will open with Pride Celebration offering Pride Storytime with Miss Andrea at 6 p.m. and Maevis Jazz Trio until 8:30 p.m. Visitors can make a pride button and view the 2020 Aurora Pride Drive Photo Exhibit from 6 to 9 p.m.
Happy Thoughts Suicide Awareness Outreach of Illinois, 31 W. Downer Pl. Ste. 212, will offer candles for sale and showcase the Pride Project from 4 to 8 p.m.
Food trucks will return to Water Street Square across from City Hall from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Joining the lineup will be Harvey's Fire Box, Home Run Dogs, and Candy and Cake. Food vendors are subject to change. Please check Aurora Downtown's Facebook page for updates.
First Fridays will continue through December with the exception of July.
On June 4, a variety of venues will offer the following mix of activities:
• Gallery 1904, 1 E. Benton St.: Vizo Arts presents "A Celebration of Women in the Arts/Music" by Colleen Wild from 5 to 9 p.m.
• Artesan Lofts, 2 S. Stolp Ave.: Gallery show, art for sale, and music by Doug Jeppesen Combo Band from 6 to 8:30 p.m.
• The Perch, 31 W. Downer Place, Suite 301: "Faith in Art" with Kyle L. White & Lisa Johnson or create a watercolor from 5 to 9 p.m.
• Gary Brown Art Gallery and Studio, 7 S. Broadway: "Art and Fashion" by artist Tyler Fata and music by Joe Eddy Brown from 5 to 9 p.m.
• If These Walls Could Talk Custom Framing & Gallery, 32 S. Stolp Ave.: River Ramble with Aurora Art League featuring 18 artists from 7 to 10 p.m.
• Aurora Tap House, 134 W. Downer Place: Abstracualy by Jenna Ann from 5 to 9 p.m. and DJ Alfred at 9 p.m.
• Aurora Regional Fire Museum, 53 N. Broadway: "Art of a Department" exhibit showcases the art of firefighters and of firefighting from 5 to 8 p.m. Sketch your own.
• Tavern on Broadway, 24 N. Broadway: Free Koozie for first 100 customers and music by Doug Feltz from 6 to 10 p.m.
• La Quinta de los Reyes, 36 E. New York St.: Elvis impersonator Michael St. Angel will perform from 7 to 9 p.m.
• Tredwell Coffee, 14 W. Downer Place, Suite 18: Live music on the deck featuring Emma Lee from 5 to 9 p.m.
• The Riverfront Playhouse, Water Street Mall: The acoustic group "The League of Erics" will be playing in front of the theater from 6 to 10 p.m.
• Payton's Photography, 14 W. Downer Place, Suite 8: All That Glitters is Gold: Princess Couture Mini Sessions from 4 to 8 p.m. Free web-sized digital image to first 10 girls sizes 3-14.
• Christian Science Reading Room, 34 S. Stolp Ave.: Free balloons to uplift your thoughts from 6 to 8 p.m.
• SciTech Hands-on Museum, 18 W. Benton St.: Early Childhood Kit Handout features free math kit handout with United Way while supplies last, from 5 to 8 p.m.
• Pure Skin Solutions, 26 S. Stolp Ave.: Hydrating Hand Remedy: Aromatherapy relief to soften and hydrate your hands for $5 from 4 to 8 p.m.
• Hope Chest, 34 N. Lincoln Ave.: Storewide sale with chances to win (with purchase) half off coupons and music by Sara Cate Langham from 6 to 9 p.m.
• Wyckwood House, 14 W. Downer Place, Suite 16: Chi-cuterie with curated charcuterie boxes and boards for sale from 5 to 9 p.m. Shop for Father's Day gifts and enjoy music by Matthew Ripsch
• Endiro Coffee, 29 W. New York St.: Art gallery showcasing works by John Stark & Susanna Schubert and live music by Pocket Fuzz from 7 to 9 p.m.
• APS Venue, 105 E. Galena Blvd., third floor: During "Summer Nights," sip on drinks, listen to music, and enjoy the view from the balcony of the historic Aurora National Bank building from 5 to 9 p.m.
• McCarty Mills Taproom, 140 S. River St., Suite 108: Featuring artist Josh Schultz, Calogeros Wood Fired Pizza and a DMX MF Doom Tribute by DJ Pryme from 5 to 10 p.m.
• Zen Loft Wellness Center, 6 W. Downer Place, upstairs: The County Line performs at 5 p.m., followed by Magnolia Belly Dance performing at 7:30 p.m. There will be vendors and Studio Open House featuring foot massages and hammocks from 5 to 9 p.m.
• Society 57, 100 S. River St.: "Cocktails & Bites: The Classics" from 6 to 9 p.m.
• Renew Salon + Spa, 160 S. River St., Suite 106: Fathers Day Pop Up Shop featuring free beauty bags for the first 50 guests. Complimentary beverages from 4 to 8 p.m.
• APS Training Academy, 105 E Galena Blvd. third floor: At the Summer Programming Booth, learn about free STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, Math) classes, or sign up to volunteer from
5 to 7 p.m.
• All Spoked Up, 14 W. Downer Place, Suite 10: The Grande Clam: Handmade Croc charms, decals, vegan leather key fobs, and fun items from 6 to 9 p.m.
For those looking for a crowd-free experience, stop by "Chalk the Mall" at Water Street Mall between Downer Place and Galena Boulevard. Bring your own chalk and draw on the concrete to create chalk art along Water Street Mall near City Hall.
You also can participate by buying an "Aurora Museum Week Tote Bag" at the Aurora Regional Fire Museum at 53 N. Broadway, for $10. Play along with goodies and a scavenger hunt inside.
Masks are required indoors. For more information on First Fridays events or Aurora Arts Weekend, visit auroradowntown.org.