Libertyville pharmacy donates to Save A Star Foundation
Petranek Pharmacy, 426 N. Milwaukee Ave. in Libertyville, has made another donation to Highland Park's Save A Star Foundation to promote awareness of the importance of proper drug collection and disposal efforts.
The purpose of this program is to collect and safely dispose of unwanted and unused medications, thus keeping them out of the hands of individuals who might otherwise become victims of prescription drug abuse.
The use of prescription pills for nonmedical reasons has reached epidemic proportions and threatens the lives of millions of Americans.
• Prescription drugs are killing more young people than cocaine, heroin, methamphetamines and inhalants combined.
• Teens abuse prescription drugs more than any illicit street drug except marijuana.
• 70 percent of people who abuse prescription drugs say they get them out of the medicine cabinets of family or friends.
• Everyday, 2,500 teens use prescription drugs for nonmedical use for the first time.
• Propelled by an increase in prescription narcotic overdoses, drug deaths have doubled in the last decade and now outnumber traffic fatalities in the United States.
The drug collection box for Libertyville is located in the police department lobby at 200 E. Cook Ave.
The following items are acceptable for disposal: prescription medications (including controlled substances), all over-the-counter and pet medications, samples, vitamins, liquids and creams.
Items not acceptable for deposit are: needles/sharps, thermometers, IV bags, bloody waste and hydrogen peroxide.
The Save A Star Drug Awareness Foundation was founded in Highland Park by David and Gail Katz and their daughter, Melissa Katz Gold, following the death of David and Gail's 25-year-old son Daniel from an overdose of prescription drug medication in June, 2007.
The Save A Star Drug Awareness Foundation was created to educate the public about the dangers and consequences of prescription drug abuse and addiction, and to provide tangible methods to remove unwanted and unused medications from America's homes.
To make donations in support of Save A Star's Drug Disposal Program, for more information, or to see other drug box locations, visit www.SAVEASTAR.org or call (847) 579-1300, ext. 146.