Gail Borden Public Library enhances services while getting ready to reopen with care
Gail Borden Public Library is offering additional services and getting ready to reopen with care. Library staff members have been diligently cleaning and planning. The library also recently enhanced services by offering home delivery services, extended drive-up window hours at both Main and Rakow, extended phone service hours, and added curbside service at the South Elgin Branch.
The Main Library, Rakow Branch and South Elgin Branch have remained closed since March 14 to help slow the spread of COVID-19. Since then, they have been diligently working to clean and disinfect all three buildings by:
• Putting effective cleaning systems in place using hospital-grade disinfectant solutions approved by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
• Thoroughly cleaning and disinfecting tables, chairs, public desks, computers and shelving as well as all fixtures in the washrooms throughout all three buildings.
• Having all carpeted areas, tile floors, terrazzo floors and rubber flooring professionally cleaned.
• Establishing several daily routines to disinfect frequently touched surfaces such as door handles, railings and elevators. Installing plexiglass partitions at service desks, hand sanitizer stations, floor markers for social distancing guides and more.
• Cleaning and quarantining returned materials according to medical and scientific guidelines.
• Forming a reopening with Care Task Force comprised of staff to plan for reopening the library in the safest way possible for library customers and staff.
Library staff are looking forward to welcoming the community back into the buildings. When the library is able to open its doors, library staff will be adhering to government and health guidelines.
Home delivery services
There are now free delivery is provided to anyone living in the library district who finds it difficult or impossible to use the drive-up window at this time. Please keep the Gail Borden bag that holds your delivery of materials with their compliments! Please use the plain clear plastic bag included to return your materials. Print books, audiobooks and music CDs can be requested. Up to eight items may be requested at a time. Library staff will make a delivery to your home or apartment. Deliveries will be made within a week of ordering materials. Contact Home Services Associate Sarah Vetter firstname.lastname@example.org or call (847) 429-4599.
The Main Library and Rakow Branch has extended hours for drive-up and phone services. As both buildings remain closed, library customers can reserve materials online at gailborden.info or by phone at (847) 742-2411, then pick them up at either drive-up window. See below for the extended hours:
• Main Library Drive-Up: 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday to Thursday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday
• Reference at Main Phone (847) 742-2411: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday to Thursday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and noon to 5 p.m. Sunday.
• Rakow Branch Drive-Up: 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday to Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday
• Reference at Rakow Phone (847) 531-7271: 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday to Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday
South Elgin Branch begins curbside service for materials and opens. Mediabox customers can place holds online or call (847) 931-2095 for pickup at the South Elgin Branch. You will receive an email or call notifying you when your items are ready. Pull up at the designated parking spaces for curbside services and call the library, (847) 931-2095, for someone to bring the items out to your car. Curbside pickup hours are: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday to Thursday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and noon to 4 p.m. Sunday. Lobby hours for Mediabox: 9:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday to Thursday, 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and 11:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday.
The library continues to offer a multitude of online programs for all ages as well as myriad reading materials via its 24/7 eLibrary. Please check gailborden.info/covid-19-updates for more news about changing services as the library continues to work to serve this community in these challenging times.