Support Side Street Studio Arts with 'Not-So-Silent Auction'
On Giving Tuesday Dec. 3, you can give and get the gift of art when you support Side Street Studio Arts. This year's "Not-So-Silent Auction" will get you arts experiences and gifts donated from area artists and businesses, all in support of Side Street's year-round programming.
On-site bidding will be open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 30 and 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 1, at the studios, 15 Ziegler Court in Elgin.
Then, on Giving Tuesday, lots will go live on the Facebook event page, with the most recent bid. You will comment below the lot you covet or message Side Street Studio Arts to submit your bid. Bids only accepted at $10 increased increments. No bids will be accepted after 11:59 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 3.
• No. 1: A four-hour Saturday or Sunday rental package for the Theater at Side Street Studio Arts. Basic rental package, includes access to tables and chairs, sound system, as well as an on-site staff member to help you set up and strike your event. Plus one free 15-piece party platter from Jimmy John's and a $25 gift certificate from Herbs Bakery. It is $475 value/$225 starting bid.
• No. 2: A "Big Wonders" art party for you and nine of your closest friends. Led by Side Street founder Erin Rehberg, with classes from up to two other artist-educators. "Big Wonders" is a three-hour visual art making, movement experiencing, snack-having, adult version of our popular programs for children. Plus one free 15-piece party platter from Jimmy John's, 50 S. Grove Ave. in Elgin, and a $25 gift certificate from Herb's Bakery. It is a $275 value/$125 starting bid.
• No. 3: Annual Lab membership and Side Street Studio Arts prize package. Good for all levels of artists that need time and space to work, includes 24-hour access, storage for your work and tools, access to Wi-Fi, use of most equipment on your own time, Side Street artist membership, reduced rental rates, and more. It is a $1,000 value/$500 starting bid.
• No. 4: A $25 gift card from Elgin Public House and two tickets to Chicago Burlesque Showcase presents "Sugar & Spice" at 10 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 7, at Martini Room, plus a gift certificate from Martini Room for a night cap. It is a $100 value/$50 starting bid.
• No. 5: "Spring Break Small Wonders" at Side Street Studio Arts for kindergarten to third grade from 9 a.m. to noon or fourth to sixth grade from 1 to 4 p.m. Each day, young artists will explore various visual and performance art techniques, led by a team of professional artist educators. Plus, a gift certificate from our friends at Blue Box Cafe. It is a $75 value/$40 starting bid.
• No. 6: The Unlimited Art Program for artists, age 3-17, gets the young artist in your life unlimited art classes at Side Street Studio Arts for one year. From weeklong camps, to one-day workshops, to pop-up arts education events, this card includes it all. It is a $1,000 value/$600 starting bid.
• No. 7: Tuition to a young artist program, tuition to an adult art program, and a gift certificate from Blue Box Cafe. It is a $350 value/$150 starting bid
• No. 8: A $25 gift card from Elgin Public House and two tickets to Chamber Music on the Fox's Heartland Marimba Quartet at 7:30 p.m. Monday, Feb. 24, at Imago. It is a $65 value/$35 starting bid.
• No. 9: Four 30-minute private piano or voice lessons with Gay L. Exoo Bouwmeester, winner bidder's choice! It is a $100 value/$50 starting bid
• No. 10: "Burst" by Janelle O'Malley, watercolor on yupo. It is a $500 value/$200 starting bid.
• No. 11: "Lovers" by Chris Arrecis, archival ink on paper (from unique silver gelatin photogram). It is a $300 value/$100 starting bid.
• No. 12: "Chance" by Chris Arrecis, framed photograph (archival ink on paper), 10 x 15. It is a $400 value/$150 starting bid.
• No. 13: An original 8- by 10-inch pen-and-ink drawing of any subject matter the winning bidder chooses by Elgin artist Chris Palm and an original 2020 "Inktober" 6- by 8-inch Inktober drawing. It is a $500 value/$125 starting bid.
• No. 14: Two festival passes to the 10th annual Going Dutch Festival, a celebration of the female voice in dance, music, theater, and the visual arts in June and the sixth annual Elgin Fringe Festival in September. Plus gift cards to Blue Box Cafe, Elgin Public House, and Martini Room to get you through your festivals. It is a $300 value/$150 starting bid.
Side Street Studio Arts is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization encouraging the artistic process in Elgin from creation to curation. Side Street has proved itself to be an artistic, cultural, and social beacon for Elgin and beyond.
In 2018, Side Street Studio Arts hosted: 24 visual art exhibitions; 35 music performances; 50-plus live art events; 300-plus on-site arts education programs; 240-plus hours of Community Moves arts education outreach programming; five artist-internships; three arts-admin internships; two Elgin Community College Future Workforce leaders; and weekly free gallery hours.
During an average week, there are approximately 100 hours of activities. They also offer donated space for multiple fundraising events for area organizations. Side Street Studio Arts also coproduced the Elgin Fringe Festival and Elgin Literary Festival with the City of Elgin.
Where your donation goes: 40% for rent, utilities, maintaining spaces and equipment for exhibits, educational programs, and events; 25% for artist payment; 11% for supplies for the Community Moves, Small Wonders, Harvest Market, Free Kids Days, etc.; and 23% for marketing, production fees, equipment rentals, professional fees, fundraising, community support, and daily needs.
While the founders, directors and managers are volunteers, artists are paid for their sales and performances, artist-educators are paid for their teaching, and event-specific staff are paid for their time. Paying artists is important!