What to expect at 7th annual Fred Fest in Port Barrington
Fred Fest is returning to the Fox River Forest Preserve in Port Barrington from noon to 6 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 17. The event features a diverse lineup of local bands, food and drinks for purchase, and family-friendly activities. There is no rain date.
Fred Fest is a fundraiser for the Preservation Foundation of the Lake County Forest Preserves, the charitable partner of the Lake County Forest Preserves. The festive event raises funds for the restoration and management of Grassy Lake Forest Preserve in Lake Barrington. Efforts include restoring nearly 100 acres along the Fox River to its presettlement condition by removing invasive species and planting native species. This year's fundraiser features performances by these local favorites:
• Noon, Sons of Bildor, an acoustic rock duo composed of Barrington brothers Rob and Charlie Knapik.
• 1 p.m., Pat McKillen performing renditions of folk, pop and rock.
• 2:15 p.m., Wichita Jacks will perform songs by the Allman Brothers, Marshall Tucker to John Mellencamp and the Grateful Dead.
• 3:30 p.m., The Gritland Band, a mix of genres -- classical with bluegrass, country with rhythm and blues, and classic rock with serious fiddle.
• 4:45 p.m., Expo '76 and the Total Pro Horns, cover band to play songs you haven't heard in years and new favorites you'll hear for the first time.
General admission tickets are $10 for adults, $5 for kids, or $25 for families. Parking is free. Purchase tickets at the event or online at LCFPD.org/FredFest. Food, beer and wine will be available for purchase from Slyce Coal Fired Pizza Co. of Wauconda and Highland Park, and Kookers of Lake Zurich. Desserts will be available from My Flavorite Place.
The family-friendly event includes kids activities from noon to 4 p.m., including face painting, a bubble show and hands-on projects such as insect netting. Limited first-come, first-served seating is available under the pavilion. Arrive early to secure a spot. Lawn space is also available. Bring your own blankets and lawn chairs. Picnic tables are scattered throughout the main event space for guests' use and enjoyment.
The Fred Fest Committee thanks the following sponsors and program partners for their generosity and support: Sponsors include Advocate Good Shepherd Hospital, Body Shop of Barrington, Chrissie and Rey Mena, College of Lake County, Doghouse of Barrington, Enhance Your View, Lake Cook Ortho -- A Division of Illinois Bone and Joint, the Miles family, the Nelson family, the Rieke family, Slyce Coal Fired Pizza Co., Turf Design, and Wickstrom Auto Group. Programming partners include Balloons by Amber, Citizens for Conservation, Cosley Zoo, Girl Scouts of Northern Illinois, Glowby the Bubbler, and the Lake County Forest Preserves.
The entrance to the Fox River Forest Preserve and Fred Fest is on Roberts Road west of River Road in Port Barrington.