Support your downtown Elgin businesses on Small Business Saturday Nov. 24
For Small Business Saturday, Nov. 24, the Downtown Neighborhood Association of Elgin encourages residents to support the local businesses in and near downtown. For details, visit www.downtownelgin.com/smallbusinesssaturday/ or www.facebook.com/downtownelgin/.
What's the importance of shopping local? Studies show that an average of two-thirds of every dollar (67 cents) spent at small businesses stays in the local community. Furthermore, every dollar spent at small businesses creates an additional 50 cents in local business activity thanks to employee spending and businesses purchasing local goods and services. Shop and dine locally on Downtown Elgin Small Business Saturday and throughout the year!
The following businesses are participating:
• Al's Cafe, 43 DuPage Court: Try an entree for lunch or dinner from their special November menu, "A Salute to Europe," from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Order $25 or more in gift receipts and receive a free box of Chef Tony's hand-rolled chocolate truffles for your someone special.
• Arabica Cafe, 59 Douglas: Start your shopping day with a gourmet breakfast sandwich and hot coffee from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• Bella's Bridal, 156 E. Chicago St.: Shop dreamy gowns and glittery accessories perfect for your special occasions from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
• Ben Shen Health, 166 E. Chicago St.: Stop by for an open house to learn about natural wellness options and chat with several providers while you enjoy complimentary hot tea from 1 to 4 p.m. Shop from a wide selection of organic teas or pick up a gift certificate for a future treatment.
• Blue Box Cafe, 176 E. Chicago St.: Get exactly what you want with their create-your-own sandwich offerings or try their famous Turkey Gobbler sandwich for $7.99 from 8 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. "Board Game Night" with the Elgin Area Tabletop Group begins at 5 p.m. Be sure to check out the Oddball Art Dispensary!
• Bricks Wood Fired Pizza, 64 S. Grove Ave.: Come try the newest restaurant in downtown Elgin from 4 p.m. to 2 a.m. Buy one pizza and get one of equal or lesser value for half-off. Limit one per customer; dine in only.
• Cafe Revive, 51 S. Grove Ave. (upstairs): Enjoy a homemade breakfast, a light lunch or freshly baked treat with a cup of coffee from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Check-in on Facebook to save 10 percent.
• Danny's On Douglas, 231 Douglas: Bring the family for a casual sit-down pizza and drinks from 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. Live music with The Lennys begins at 8 p.m.
• Delish Cakes, 213 E. Chicago St.: Treat yourself to a gourmet cupcake and grab some extra to take home from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• Dog's Paw Brewing, 74 S. Grove Ave.: Dog's Paw has you covered for a healthy salad or a juicy burger and drinks too from 1 p.m. to midnight.
• Domani Cafe, 109 E. Highland Ave.: Start the day off right with a cup of coffee, sandwiches or treats from 7 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
• Dream Hall at 51, 51 S. Grove Ave.: From 6:30 to 10:30 p.m. is the second annual "State of the Dream." Cap off your Small Business Saturday with music, food, networking and learn about the state of local small business, open all day.
• Eaton's Redwood Inn, 118 W. Chicago St.: Stop in to relax with a beer at this Elgin neighborhood bar since 1954 from 7 a.m. to 1 a.m.
• El Faro, 9 N. State St.: Grab some tacos for a quick lunch or cap off your day with margaritas, open all day.
• Elgin Antiques & Uniques, 207 E. Chicago St.: Shop for everyone on your list with one-of-a-kind finds in jewelry, decor, accent furniture, textiles, pottery, glassware and more from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Save 20 percent or more off the entire store; excluding records and select items.
• Elgin Books & Coffee, 66 S. Grove Ave.: Shop for everyone on your list in this local bookstore and relax for awhile in their cozy cafe from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. .
• Elgin Knit Works, 8 Douglas: Check out the variety of yarns and supplies for the knitting enthusiasts in your life from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Elgin Public House, 219 E. Chicago St.: Come refuel with a great lunch or cap off your shopping day with dinner and drinks from 11 a.m. to 2 a.m.
• Escapade 360 Escape Room, 77 S. Riverside: Escapes will be $25 (that's $4 off) with promo code ESCAPE25. Come experience something new from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.
• Fanny's Thai Roll Ice Cream, 7 N. State St.: Experience a burst of fresh flavors with this unique "rolled" ice cream the whole family will love from noon to 11 p.m.
• Funky Rooster Tattoo & Gallery, 73 S. Grove Ave.: Save 25 percent off all art prints and T-shirts from noon to 8 p.m.
• Gail Borden Public Library, 270 N. Grove Ave.: Shop "Gail's Sales" for a large selection of gently used books, games and movies at low prices from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
• In the Cut Hair Studios, 17 Zeigler Court: Stop in for $5 off walk-in hair cuts from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
• ITN Dream Deli & Cafe, 270 N. Grove Ave.: Located inside the Gail Borden Public Library, grab a quick bite to eat and enjoy a free coffee with any purchase of $10 or more from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
• Jimmy John's, 50 S. Grove Ave.: Mention you saw this advertisement from the DNA to receive one free medium drink with purchase of any sandwich from 10:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. (in-shop only, limit one free drink per customer).
• Kellenberger Auto Service, 217 Symphony Way: Stop in for an oil change or schedule a winter tuneup from 7:30 a.m. to noon.
• Kubo Sushi & Sake Lounge: 70 S. Grove Ave.: Experience delicious fresh sushi at this new restaurant from noon to 10 p.m.
• Las Gorditas De Don Angel, 165 E. Highland Ave.: Enjoy authentic gorditas, burritos, tacos and more from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
• Legit Dogs & Ice, 51 S. Grove Ave. (downstairs): Treat yourself to a gourmet hot dog, including the Road Rash, Polska and The Mule, and their new gourmet Parmesan Garlic Fries from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.
• Mama Lee's Gourmet Popcorn, 20 S. Spring St.: Make your day "Poptastic" with Mama Lee's famous popcorn in a variety of delicious gourmet flavors including a limited-time special Thanksgiving mix from noon to 7 p.m. Buy 1 large bag and get 1 small bag free of any flavor.
• Martini Room, 161 E. Chicago St.: Cap off your day with award-winning martinis from 6 p.m. to 3 a.m. On Saturday, you're first cocktail will be 25 percent off. Last call at 2:30 a.m.
• Pastigel Bakery, 154 E. Chicago St.: Stop in for a sweet treat and consider placing an order for a special cake on your holiday celebration from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
• Rediscover Records, 9 S. Spring St.: Featuring a spotlight on Black Friday Record Store Day releases from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Exclusive releases that are designated for indie record stores across the globe, including Elgin's own Rediscover Records.
• Salon Couture, 176 E. Chicago St.: Enjoy a free deep conditioning treatment with any hair service and receive a free travel-size hand relief with any retail purchase from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Shockey Jewelers, 18 Douglas: Splurge on elegant jewelry for the someone special in your life from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Save 20 percent on all merchandise.
• Side Street Studio Arts, 15 Ziegler Court: Sign up for discounted art classes, take advantage of free gifts with purchases of gift certificates, shop Elgin Fringe Festival merchandise and more from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
• Simple Balance Health Center, 221 E. Chicago St.: Save 10 percent on services from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• Soulful Sparrow, 10 Douglas: Check out the holiday merchandise and fashions too from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Models will be showcasing the newest fashions for the holiday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. With your purchase, you'll also receive a special raffle ticket prize!
• State Street Market Shops, 701 N. State St.: Receive one raffle ticket for every $10 spent from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Nov. 24. Raffle ticket winner will receive a $50 gift certificate to State Street Market Shops.
• Symonds-Madison Funeral Home, 305 Park St.: Come by to pick up your free Gift of Life Planning Guide from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Bring a photo to scan and order a memorial Christmas ornament to remember your loved one this holiday season.
• The Afterset, 158 Symphony Way: Enjoy $6 drink specials all night from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m.
• Toom Toom Thai, 23 S. Grove Ave.: Try out the variety of authentic Thai cuisine from noon to 9 p.m.
• Vida Yoga & Fitness, 50 S. Grove Ave.: Check out this new yoga studio and pick up a class schedule from 7:30 to 11 a.m.
• Whatnots & Whimsies, 211 E. Chicago St.: Show your love by supporting your local small businesses and they will treat you to special sales and complimentary refreshments from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• WRMN Radio, 14 Douglas: Visit the WRMN Redemption Center to make gift cards and Santa "countdown" calendars from 8 a.m. to noon.
• Ziegler's Ace Hardware, 215 N. Spring St.: Shop innovative gifts from The Grommet along with big brand items from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
In 2010, as small businesses are hurting from an economic recession, American Express launched Small Business Saturday on the Saturday after Thanksgiving to encourage people to "Shop Small" and bring more holiday shopping to small businesses. In 2013, more than 1,400 individuals and organizations sign up as Neighborhood Champions to rally their communities with events and activities on Small Business Saturday -- and that number continues to grow.
By 2017, there were more than 7,200 Neighborhood Champions across all 50 states. They're not alone. Beginning in 2011, business associations, nonprofit trade groups, municipalities, and public officials started to unite by forming a Small Business Saturday Coalition, encouraging everyone to Shop Small. And nearly 100 corporations lend their official support to the movement. To learn more about Small Business Saturday, visit www.americanexpress.com/us/small-business/shop-small/