Thursday, June 1, 2023
Cubs | Steele exits early with injury, Cubs can't complete sweep of Rays
The Cubs were on the verge of sweeping the powerful Tampa Bay Rays, but after an injury to starter Justin Steele, they didn't have enough in the bullpen to hold an early lead and lost 4-3 on Wednesday. The Cubs left five runners on base in the eighth and ninth innings.
Latest Sports Videos
Bears | Blackhawks | Bulls | Cubs | White Sox
Bears | Bears defense hopes to take next step with additions, experienceThe Bears defense hopes to take its next step this offseason with the additions of linebackers Tremaine Edmunds and T.J. Edwards after ranking near the bottom of the league in defensive statistics last season.
Bears | Jim O'Donnell: Palatine's Schwantz among those perplexed by slow forward progress of the BearsThe Bears are 20 months past the September morn when they were announced as the "winners" of the 326 acres that now house the ghosts of Arlington Park. But Jim O'Donnell says the Bears have produced scant details about how the re-development will move forward. "The Bears don't even know the full scope of the Bears development at this time."
White Sox | Two months into season, White Sox still clanging instead of clickingThe White Sox ended the month of May with another bad loss, a 12-5 decision against the Angels Wednesday afternoon. With a third of the season in the books, manager Pedro Grifol is still trying to figure out why the Sox aren't playing up to expectations.
Prep Sports | Softball: Warren rallies from 8 down in 7th, beats Palatine 16-15 in 10 inningsTrailing 11-3 going into the bottom of the seventh inning of its own Class 4A sectional semifinal on Wednesday, Warren's softball team staged the comeback of a lifetime in Gurnee.
Prep Sports | Baseball: Stevenson's 5-run first too much for Libertyville to overcomeStevenson's Michael Belbot has been the closer for the Patriots this season.
Cubs | Alzolay embracing bullpen role for CubsAdbert Alzolay was impressive during a two-inning save against Tampa Bay on Tuesday. He talked about why he's enjoying a new role in the bullpen after starting 21 games in 2021.
Prep Sports | Softball: Savage's stellar pitching leads Lake Park over South Elgin in sectional semifinalLake Park coach Tom Mazzie realized a change was necessary.
Prep Sports | Baseball: Jacobs upsets Huntley in Class 4A Dundee-Crown Sectional semifinalJacobs pitcher Anthony Edge remembered well his previous outing against Huntley, a Fox Valley Conference game in which the Red Raider roughed him up for five earned runs in 3 1/3 innings.
Prep Sports | Baseball: Person, defense lead Burlington Central to sectional semifinal victory over LemontIt's not about who get the most hits.
Prep Sports | Baseball: York, Batavia advance at South Elgin sectionalRyan Sloan's motivation to play baseball isn't difficult to figure out.
Prep Sports | Softball: Antonucci listens to coach, slugs Wauconda to sectional win over CarmelAs Wauconda junior left fielder Bella Antonucci strode to the plate in the top of the second inning of the Class 3A Carmel Catholic softball sectional semifinal on Wednesday afternoon, she heard someone yell two words:
- 9:53 PMBaseball: Lake Forest takes advantage of hot bats, Cary-Grove errors
- 4:55 PMAntisemitic remarks shouted at St. Viator-Deerfield playoff soccer game
- 2:29 PMArlington Park's property tax bill reduced by more than half
- 1:12 PM'It really hasn't set in yet': Glenbrook South senior on winning state title in 300-meter hurdles
- 12:46 PMJohn Cerasani left a secure, well-paid job. Now he's bending elbows with the rich and famous
Recommended for You
- Prep SportsBaseball: Stevenson's 5-run first too much for Libertyville to overcome
- Prep SportsSoftball: Antonucci listens to coach, slugs Wauconda to sectional win over Carmel
- Prep SportsSoftball: Warren rallies from 8 down in 7th, beats Palatine 16-15 in 10 innings
- NewsAntisemitic remarks shouted at St. Viator-Deerfield playoff soccer game
- Prep SportsBaseball: Lake Forest takes advantage of hot bats, Cary-Grove errors
- Prep SportsBaseball: Flynn pitches Oswego East past Downers Grove North into sectional final
- Prep SportsBoys volleyball: Glenbrook South beats Glenbrook North to earn first state trip in a decade
- Prep SportsBaseball: Jacobs upsets Huntley in Class 4A Dundee-Crown Sectional semifinal
- Prep SportsBaseball: Person, defense lead Burlington Central to sectional semifinal victory over Lemont
- Prep SportsSoftball: Savage's stellar pitching leads Lake Park over South Elgin in sectional semifinal
- Prep SportsBaseball: York, Batavia advance at South Elgin sectional
- Prep SportsBoys volleyball: Barrington rallies to beat Hononegah, earn trip to state
- Prep SportsBoys lacrosse: Huntley can't keep up with Lake Forest in supersectional loss
- Prep Sports'It really hasn't set in yet': Glenbrook South senior on winning state title in 300-meter hurdles
- Prep SportsNo surprise: New Trier earns another trophy in boys tennis