Editorial: We have 5 weeks to end gerrymandering here
In Illinois, we have legislative and congressional district maps that are drawn by politicians. And we hate to say it, they're not drawn to further democracy. They're not drawn so you decide who your representatives are. They're drawn so the political parties do. May 3 is the magic deadline for both houses of the Illinois General Assembly to agree to put the Fair Maps Amendment on the November referendum ballot.
Editorial: Can we trust a 'Fair Tax' if there are no Fair Maps?This Daily Herald editorial says that legislative leaders who can't be trusted to let voters speak on an issue they favor, Fair Maps, will have a hard time persuading them to back one they're uncertain about, a graduated state income tax.
- Dodging blame?
- Distancing will have huge impact on safety
- At least one bright side
- Tax delay a win-win for all
- Use same focus on other chronic diseases
- Democrats caused shameful delay in aid
- Our 'Klaata Barad Nikto' moment
- Let president do his job
- Retirees classified as 'expendable'
- Trump presidency must be stopped
- Bad timing
- Speaking the truth
Submit a Letter to the Daily Herald