Sep 25 2016 | 8:13 am
- A waitress at Jelly Cafe in Mount Prospect, Rosie Rodriguez got a call from the school nurse saying her son had a headache. Not long after her boss got there to drop off some chewable painkillers, 11-year-old Dary was in a helicopter headed for...
Sep 22 2016 | 11:09 am
- Waiting for our Central Division champs to start the playoffs proves surprisingly tricky for Cubs fans who should be accustomed to waiting. So we’ll kill some time by letting a longtime Cubs fan tell how his childhood treasures ended up with...
Sep 20 2016 | 9:06 am
- Bullying isn't just confined to little kids and middle school. That destructive behavior can inflict colleges, workplaces and even senior centers.
Sep 11 2016 | 12:12 pm
- Children too young to remember Sept. 11 have grown up in a world shaped by that event. That history plays a role in our future, and explaining it all is a challenge, especially for suburban Muslim parents.
Sep 08 2016 | 9:38 am
- Walking around Wrigley Field, it's jarring to see an old No. 17 Cubs jersey sporting the name “Grace.” That's Kris Bryant's number now, baby.
Sep 04 2016 | 7:27 am
- As the passenger in a 2014 car crash, Kelsey Ibach was in such pain that she couldn’t help but think about dying. Now, the 27-year-old Arlington Heights native, paralyzed from the waist down, helps children with disabilities scuba dive, and...
Sep 01 2016 | 5:41 am
- The Cubs roll into September with fans no longer hoping for a shot at the playoffs, but actually updating online calendars to make sure there are no conflicts with World Series games. Is a choke even possible?
Aug 30 2016 | 5:41 am
- Somewhere under the clutter of papers on my desk is a glass paperweight about to be laid to waste by the “Frankenstein of Cary.” An auction will give villagers a chance to enter this world by buying paperweights from the Art Institute of...
Sep 01 2016 | 10:08 am
- Last year, Fox Lake was preparing for the last hurrah of summer boating and fishing when a police officer shot dead put the Lake County town in the national spotlight. A hero’s funeral, a heartbreaking betrayal and a sickening scandal quickly...
Aug 25 2016 | 6:31 am
- This summer’s championship dreams for Chicago Cubs fans send Bruce Reinger of Mount Prospect to his attic stash of keepsakes from the last time the Cubs won the World Series. Reinger’s grandfather and his buddies drew intricate cartoons...