Hamas and Israel exchange more hostages for prisoners on fifth day of temporary cease-fire
A fragile truce between Israel and Hamas held for a fifth day Tuesday, as international mediators in Qatar worked to extend it and more hostages were freed from Gaza. Israel came under pressure from the United States to better protect Palestinian civilians in Gaza if it follows through on its promise to resume the war.
The U.S. tells Israel any ground campaign in southern Gaza must limit further civilian displacementThe Biden administration has told Israel that it must work to avoid "significant further displacement" of Palestinian civilians in southern Gaza if it renews its ground campaign aimed at eradicating the Hamas militant group, senior U.S. officials said.
Freed Israeli hostage describes deteriorating conditions while being held by HamasAn Israeli hostage freed by Hamas said in an interview that she was initially fed well in captivity until conditions worsened and people became hungry. She was kept in a "suffocating" room and slept on plastic chairs with a sheet for nearly 50 days.
Charlie Munger, Warren Buffett's longtime sidekick at Berkshire Hathaway, dies at 99Charlie Munger, who helped Warren Buffett build Berkshire Hathaway into an investment powerhouse, has died at a California hospital. He was 99.
Rosalynn Carter honored by family, friends, first ladies and presidents -- including husband JimmyRosalynn Carter was being memorialized Tuesday with classical music and beloved hymns, some of her favorite Biblical passages, and a rare gathering of all living U.S. first ladies and multiple presidents, including her 99-year-old husband Jimmy Carter in the front row.
In new challenge to indictment, Trump's lawyers argue he had good basis to question election resultsDonald Trump had a "good faith" basis to question the results of the 2020 election, his lawyers said in demanding that prosecutors turn over any evidence related to voting irregularities and potential foreign interference in the contest won by Democrat Joe Biden.
Nikki Haley wins backing from powerful Koch network as she aims to take on TrumpAmericans for Prosperity, the political arm of the powerful Koch network, formally endorsed Nikki Haley's presidential campaign on Tuesday, promising to commit its nationwide army of activists -- and virtually unlimited funds -- to helping Haley defeat former President Donald Trump in the GOP primary contest.
Hunter Biden tells Congress he'd testify publicly, setting up a potential high-stakes faceoffHunter Biden offered Tuesday to testify publicly before Congress, striking a defiant note in response to a subpoena from Republicans and setting up a potential high-stakes faceoff even as a separate special counsel probe unfolds and his father, President Joe Biden, campaigns for reelection.
South Korea delays its own spy satellite liftoff, days after North's satellite launchSouth Korea has postponed the planned launch of its first military spy satellite set for this Thursday, officials said, days after rival North Korea claimed to put its own spy satellite into orbit for the first time.
Cities crack down on homeless encampments. Advocates say that's not the answerTossing tent poles, blankets and a duffel bag into a shopping cart and three wagons, Will Taylor spent a summer morning helping friends tear down what had been their home and that of about a dozen others. It wasn't the first time and wouldn't be the last.
France to ban smoking on beaches as it seeks to avoid 75,000 tobacco-related deaths per yearFrance will ban smoking on all beaches, in public parks, forests and some other public areas as part of a national anti-tobacco plan presented by the health minister on Tuesday.
Greek officials angry and puzzled after UK's Sunak scraps leaders' meeting over Parthenon MarblesGreek officials said Tuesday that they will continue talks with the British Museum about bringing the Parthenon Marbles back to Athens, despite U.K. Prime Minister Rishi Sunak abruptly canceling a meeting with his Greek counterpart where the contested antiquities were due to be discussed.
41 Indian construction workers rescued from collapsed tunnel where they were trapped for 17 daysForty-one construction workers emerged dazed and smiling Tuesday from a collapsed tunnel in northern India where they had spent the last 17 days -- a happy ending to an ordeal that had gripped the country and led to a massive rescue operation that overcame several setbacks.
- 6:24 PMRosemont closes on $12.7 million purchase of last undeveloped site in town
- 6:12 PMTwo new pop-up DMVs opening in Addison and Westchester, one for seniors only
- 6:10 PMPolice: Marijuana plants stolen from McHenry home in strong-arm robbery
- 6:08 PMMan charged with robbing woman of purse at Downers Grove grocery store
- 5:06 PMWheeling AMVETS donates winter clothes to charity
- 5:06 PMNaperville VFW hosts craft fair Dec. 3
- 5:05 PMSanta Parade set for Saturday in Libertyville
More Suburban News
- NewsPolice: Marijuana plants stolen from McHenry home in strong-arm robbery
- BarringtonFormer CEO accused of stealing $1.8M from relative allowed access to funds to pay lawyer
- AuroraAurora fire leaves 37-year-old man in critical condition
- NewsDistrict 25 board starts interviewing for Bein successor
- St. CharlesAndy's Frozen Custard store opening in St. Charles this December
- BusinessFirst Christmas season for McHenry's tiny Riverwalk Shoppes
- ElginElgin man convicted of sexually assaulting a child
- AntiochPolice: Man pointed crossbow at officers after leading them on high-speed chase
- NewsDistrict 303 to hold public meetings on enrollment zone changes
- BataviaFour people apply for Batavia 7th Ward city council seat
- LibertyvilleLibertyville police investigating series of vehicle thefts, break-ins
- Buffalo GroveBuffalo Grove community blood drive set for Dec. 2
- ElburnElburn implementing hefty fines for distracted driving
- GenevaGeneva to host program on soil and water conservation
- NapervilleLooking for some holiday fun? Check out the Naperville Municipal Band's free concert