Hawaii remembrance draws handful of Pearl Harbor survivors
A handful of centenarian survivors of the attack on Pearl Harbor gathered at the scene of the Japanese bombing on Wednesday to commemorate those who perished 81 years ago.
Justices skeptical of elections case that could alter votingThe Supreme Court on Wednesday seemed skeptical of making a broad ruling that would leave state legislatures virtually unchecked in making rules for congressional and presidential elections.
Donors race to get generators, other aid to hard-hit UkraineWhen Russian forces launched a military campaign against infrastructure in Ukraine nearly two months ago, they opened a front that carried the war along power lines, water mains and heating systems to homes, schools, offices and churches.
Suspected German coup plot spawns dozens of arrestsGerman police seized dozens of people including a self-styled prince, a retired paratrooper and a former judge on Wednesday, accusing the suspects of discussing the violent overthrow of the government but leaving unclear how concrete the plans were.
FBI: Polygamous leader had 20 wives, many of them minorsThe leader of a small polygamous group near the Arizona-Utah border had taken at least 20 wives, most of them minors, and punished followers who did not treat him as a prophet, newly filed federal court documents allege.
Warnock defeats Walker in Georgia, giving Democrats a 51-49 majority in U.S. SenateDemocratic Sen. Raphael Warnock defeated Republican challenger Herschel Walker in a Georgia runoff election Tuesday, ensuring Democrats an outright majority in the Senate for the rest of President Joe Biden's term and helping cap an underwhelming midterm cycle for the GOP in the last major vote of the year.
China eases anti-COVID measures following protestsChina rolled back rules on isolating people with COVID-19 and dropped virus test requirements for some public places Wednesday in a dramatic change to a strategy that confined millions of people to their homes and sparked protests and demands for President Xi Jinping to resign.
Friction over LGBTQ issues worsens in global Anglican churchFriction has long-simmered within the global Anglican Communion over its 42 provinces' sharp differences on whether to recognize same-sex marriage and ordain LGBTQ clergy. The divisions widened this year as conservative bishops affirmed their opposition to LGBTQ inclusion and demanded "repentance" by provinces with inclusive policies.
Extinctions, shrinking habitat spur 'rewilding' in citiesAnimal and plant species are dying off at an alarming rate, with up to 1 million threatened with extinction, according to a 2019 United Nations report. Their plight is stirring calls for "rewilding" places where they thrived until driven out by development, pollution and climate change.
U.S. Jews fear collision with expected Israeli governmentIsrael's ties to the Jewish American community, one of its closest and most important allies, are about to be put to the test, with Israel's emerging far-right government on a collision course with Jews in the United States.
Interracial marriages to get added protection under new lawThe Respect for Marriage Act, which passed the Senate l ast week, has been picking up steam since June, when the Supreme Court overturned the federal right to an abortion. The ruling included a concurring opinion from Justice Clarence Thomas that suggested the high court should review other precedent-setting rulings, including the 2015 decision legalizing same-sex marriage.
'Next mass killer': Dropped case foretold Colorado bloodbathAnderson Lee Aldrich loaded bullets into a Glock pistol and chugged vodka, ominously warning frightened grandparents not to stand in the way of an elaborate plan to stockpile guns, ammo, body armor and a homemade bomb to become "the next mass killer."
- 10:36 PM'We got him': Former Wheeling resident wanted in teen's 2020 killing captured
- 9:27 PMPolice: Naperville man found dead in Bolingbrook
- 8:40 PMDemolition of Mount Prospect's former fire, police headquarters underway
- 7:19 PMCyclist hit by car in Mount Prospect
- 6:45 PMDriver injured when car hits Highland Park home
- 6:11 PMToys ride free on Tuesday during Metra's holiday drive
- 6:10 PMNaperville election candidates fighting to stay on ballot
More Suburban News
- NapervillePolice: Naperville man found dead in Bolingbrook
- NewsPedestrian killed in Westmont
- Buffalo GroveFour more years for Bragg as Buffalo Grove village manager
- NewsDistrict 26 sells shuttered school building in Des Plaines for $3 million
- Buffalo GroveTown hall Dec. 15 in Buffalo Grove to focus on SAFE-T Act
- Mount ProspectCyclist hit by car in Mount Prospect
- NapervilleNaperville election candidates fighting to stay on ballot
- Girls' GymnasticsGirls gymnastics: Scouting Fox and DuPage County
- Girls' BasketballDespite record, Bartlett's showing improvement
- NewsDriver injured when car hits Highland Park home
- Girls' BasketballLake County girls basketball notes: Fisher, Rule two keys to Libertyville's strong start
- Girls' BasketballProspect's Gilhooly has options; Barrington's O'Riordan shines in spotlight
- Girls' BasketballTrigueros doing it all for surging West Chicago
- Girls' BasketballKaneland snaps Sycamore's 51-game conference winning streak
- Mundelein'We got him': Former Wheeling resident wanted in teen's 2020 killing captured