Lightfoot files paperwork to run for reelection
After turning in her nominating petitions Monday morning -- a stack of signatures nearly half as tall as she is -- Mayor Lori Lightfoot flexed a bit as she explained her decision to skip the chance to get her name on the bottom of the ballot, a position some believe offers an advantage.
White House intervenes in rail dispute, but Metra's on alert for possible strikeWith a deadline looming next week for a possible strike by freight railway workers, Metra officials are watching even as the White House intervenes to prevent a walkout.
Ukraine on edge for more attacks, West eyes humanitarian aidUkraine prepared for more Russian strikes on Monday and warned of the possibility for a new round of evacuations from the capital during a relative lull from the airstrikes on energy facilities and other key infrastructure in recent weeks.
Hawaii's Mauna Loa starts to erupt, sending ash nearbyHawaii's Mauna Loa, the world's largest active volcano, has started to erupt for the first time in nearly four decades, prompting volcanic ash and debris to fall nearby, authorities said Monday.
Democrats kept the Senate this year, but 2024 may be harderDemocrats celebrating a successful effort to keep control of the U.S. Senate this year will soon confront a 2024 campaign that could prove more challenging. The party enters the next cycle defending 23 seats, including two held by independents who caucus with Democrats. That's compared with just 10 seats that Republicans hope to keep in their column.
China eases COVID rules after wide protests of lockdownsChinese authorities eased some anti-virus rules but affirmed their severe "zero COVID" strategy Monday after protesters demanded President Xi Jinping resign in the biggest show of opposition to the ruling Communist Party in decades.
Prince William focuses U.S. trip on climate amid Harry rowPrince William and the Princess of Wales will be looking to focus attention on their Earthshot Prize for environmental innovators when they make their first visit to the United States in eight years this week, a trip clouded by tensions with William's brother, Prince Harry, and his wife, Meghan, who have criticized Britain's royal family in the American media.
'We the People' is the White House's theme for the holidaysDrawing decorating inspiration from America's founding documents, Jill Biden chose a "We the People" theme to deck the White House halls and to remind Americans of what unites them throughout the year, especially during the holidays.
Here's how you can avoid holiday scamsThe Better Business Bureau has received reports of nearly $380 million in online retail fraud losses in 2022 so far, but 'tis the season when scammers really up their game.
Should you buy a pricey new car now or hold off?Should you hold onto your old car until new ones aren't so expensive? Will rebates return? Experts say relief is coming to auto drought and sticker shocks.
District 214 prepares for first superintendent search in 17 yearsFor the first time in nearly two decades, the Northwest Suburban High School District 214 board of education will soon embark on a search for a new superintendent. Here's what to expect from the process.
Thinking of going solar this winter? Here's what you need to knowThere are a range of options to make a energy transition to solar power happen. Whether you're considering having panels installed on your home or subscribing to a community solar field, here's the info you need to get started.
- 12:05 AMDeparting Kane County Board member to run for Campton Hills mayor
- 11:41 PMTow-truck driver sentenced to 50 years for fatal I-88 shooting
- 9:51 PMPolice searching for two men after Elmhurst bank robbery
- 8:19 PMCandidate fields take shape in Downers Grove, Naperville, Wheaton
- 7:58 PMZion woman shot to death early Sunday in Waukegan
- 7:28 PMDixon seeks to be Elgin's first Black mayor as he challenges Kaptain
- 7:16 PMClerk says Schaumburg mayoral challenger didn't file enough signatures, other required documents
More Suburban News
- WaukeganMan who was killed in Waukegan strip mall shooting ID'd as North Chicago resident
- Campton HillsDeparting Kane County Board member to run for Campton Hills mayor
- Downers GroveCandidate fields take shape in Downers Grove, Naperville, Wheaton
- WaukeganZion woman shot to death early Sunday in Waukegan
- NewsArlington Heights teen snow shoveling program returns
- AuroraAurora police receive federal grant for crisis intervention program
- Round Lake BeachSenior living plan considered in Round Lake Beach
- WheatonWMU dismisses Lester after six seasons on job
- EducationDistrict 214 prepares for first superintendent search in 17 years
- AuroraAurora Downtown to host Cocoa Crawl Dec. 2
- NewsGlenview police searching for missing 43-year-old man
- GenevaEast State Street reconstruction project moves forward in Geneva
- Oak BrookTow-truck driver sentenced to 50 years for fatal I-88 shooting
- CrimePolice searching for two men after Elmhurst bank robbery
- ElginDixon seeks to be Elgin's first Black mayor as he challenges Kaptain