Lindenhurst woman suing Antioch restaurant over fireplace explosion
A Lindenhurst woman is suing an Antioch restaurant for injuries she said she suffered when an outdoor fireplace exploded last year as she and her husband dined on the eatery's patio.
The explosion occurred about 7 p.m. Sept. 16, 2020, as LaVerne Burress and her husband, Charles Burress, ate at Anastasia's Restaurant & Sports Lounge, 950 Hillside Ave., according to the lawsuit filed Friday in Lake County court.
LaVerne Burress suffered an injury to her Achilles tendon, which later required surgery, while fleeing from the explosion, according to the suit.
A representative of Anastasia's Restaurant & Sports Lounge said the owner was not available to comment Tuesday.
According to the complaint, an investigation revealed the explosion resulted from a crack between the gas pipe and hose on the fireplace.
"LaVerne and Charles have a daughter getting married in October, and instead of enjoying this special time and accompanying her daughter to venue and dress appointments, LaVerne is in excruciating pain," John A. Mennie, of the Waukegan-based Salvi, Schostok & Pritchard law firm, said in a news release Tuesday.
"We hope this lawsuit will bring LaVerne the monetary means she needs to recover and heal, but we also hope this makes restaurants aware of the important duty they have to keep their patrons safe this upcoming patio season," he said.
The lawsuit seeks at least $50,000 in damages, as well as the plaintiff's court costs, according to court documents.
The case is scheduled to be before a judge on July 1.