Fire damages senior living facility in North Aurora

 
 
Updated 4/8/2021 11:55 AM

A fire in a laundry room Wednesday night displaced 12 residents of a senior living facility in North Aurora.

Nobody was injured, and the residents were moved to other units in the Asbury Gardens building at 210 Airport Road, according to Deputy Chief Mike Klemencic of the North Aurora Fire Protection District.

 

Firefighters received an alarm at 8:47 p.m. The fire happened near a dryer in a staff laundry room on the second floor, in a portion of the building designated for assisted living. The fire spread to a wall but was extinguished within about 10 minutes, Klemencic said.

Asbury Gardens also has a rehabilitation unit and a memory-care unit.

Some residents of the building were evacuated, but others were told, per an emergency plan, to shelter in their rooms or congregate areas.

Firefighters from the Aurora, Fermilab, Sugar Grove, Batavia and Geneva fire departments assisted.

0 Comments
                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
 
Article Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.