Waukegan police identify 15 arrested during civil unrest, looting
Waukegan police on Wednesday released the identities of 15 people arrested in connection with the looting of about 50 businesses late Sunday and early Monday.
All of those arrested either live in Waukegan or a nearby Lake County community. They faces charges ranging from disorderly conduct to burglary and resisting arrest.
City officials said the looting and vandalism followed a peaceful protest march Sunday evening.
Throughout the night Sunday and into Monday morning, officers responded to about 50 business lootings, with some stores being looted more than once.
Officers also responded to more than a dozen calls of shots fired during the night, and one person showed up at an area hospital with a gunshot to the leg, police said. The person was treated and released that evening, and the shooting remains under investigation, police said.
A majority of the police response was centered on the area of Glen Flora and Lewis Avenues, according to police. No officers reported injuries, police said, but two squad cars were damaged.
Those arrested and the charges they face include:
• Jessica Arroya, 24, of Grayslake; charged with looting.
• Victoria Bradley, 49, of Waukegan; charged with resisting a peace officer, driving on a suspended or revoked license, and fleeing and eluding.
• Jodaviess Brown, 34, of Waukegan; charged with burglary.
• Ernesto Flores, 21, no address given; charged with trespassing.
• Modestey Hyatte, 20, of Park City; charged with burglary.
• Jasmaine James, 28, no address given; charged with disorderly conduct.
• Davel Johnson, 28, of Waukegan; charged with burglary and looting.
• Julius Mathews, 18, of Waukegan; charged with looting.
• Destini Miller, 27, of Waukegan; charged with looting.
• Michael Moreino, 44, of Waukegan; charged with trespassing and resisting arrest.
• Dwight Pritchett, 46, of Zion; charged with criminal damage, criminal trespass to property, obstructing, and resisting a peace officer.
• Xania Ruiz, 19, of Waukegan, charged with disorderly conduct.
• Melinda Urbine, 26, of Waukegan, charged with looting.
• Albert Wilson, 29, of Zion, charged with theft.
• Santiago Zapata, 21, of Waukegan, charged with disorderly conduct.
A 25-year-old Waukegan woman also is charged with looting, but has not yet been arrested.
Police offered their thanks to members of the Lake County Sheriff's Office, North Chicago Police Department and the Northern Illinois Police Alarm System (NIPAS) for "helping to protect our community."