Man with ties to Elgin, St. Charles charged in April 24 home invasion

  • Deonte Wilkins

    Deonte Wilkins

  • Charles Kimbrough

    Charles Kimbrough

 
 
Updated 5/13/2020 6:00 PM

A man with ties to Elgin and St. Charles was arrested Wednesday on charges he stalked and threatened a St. Charles woman before breaking into her apartment last month, authorities said.

Deonte D. Wilkins, 27, is facing felony charges of home invasion, aggravated stalking, stalking and phone harassment, as well as misdemeanors of criminal damage to property, violation of bail bond and phone harassment, according to St. Charles police.

 

Authorities responded about 12:30 a.m. April 24 to a report of two men trying to break into an apartment on the 100 block of North 15th Avenue, officials said. The woman told police she had previously received threatening phone calls from Wilkins, who fled the scene, authorities said.

Officers searched the area and arrested 31-year-old Charles S. Kimbrough Jr. of Elgin, who police described as an accomplice to Wilkins. He was charged with unlawful restraint after police say he grabbed the woman as she tried to escape from the apartment.

Kimbrough, of the 300 block of South Jackson Street in Elgin, was released on his own recognizance, officials said.

An arrest warrant was issued for Wilkins, who was located in Elgin and taken into custody Wednesday, police said. He is being held at the Kane County jail on $250,000 bail.

Wilkins, a former Elgin resident, had been living on the 100 block of North 15th Street until he was arrested March 31 in a separate domestic battery case, Deputy Chief Erik Mahan said. Police "do not have a clear indication" of his permanent address, he said.

by signing up you agree to our terms of service
                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
 

Wilkins is due in court Friday. If convicted of home invasion, he faces a sentence ranging from six to 30 years in prison with no chance of probation.

Kimbrough's next court date is June 26. He faces a sentence ranging from probation to up to three years in prison if convicted.

• Daily Herald staff writer Harry Hitzeman contributed to this report.

0 Comments
                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
 
Article Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.