More federal flood buyout funds for Des Plaines

  • Big Bend Drive, an oft-flooded area in Des Plaines, is where dozens of homes have been purchased and demolished as part of a city buyout program.

      Big Bend Drive, an oft-flooded area in Des Plaines, is where dozens of homes have been purchased and demolished as part of a city buyout program. Mark Welsh | Staff Photographer, July 2017

 
Daily Herald report
Updated 1/31/2020 5:53 PM

The Federal Emergency Management Agency has awarded $2.3 million to Des Plaines to acquire 13 flood-prone homes as part of the city's ongoing home buyout program.

FEMA is paying 75% of the $3,087,890 project cost, while the city will cover the remaining 25%, or $772,000.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
 

"The acquisition and demolition of these structures permanently removes them from the floodplain and greatly reduces the financial impact on individuals and the community when future flooding occurs in this area," said James Joseph, FEMA's Region V regional administrator, in a news release.

The city, with federal funding assistance, has purchased and demolished dozens of homes -- predominantly in the Big Bend Drive neighborhood -- since historic floods in 2008 and 2013.

0 Comments
                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
 
Article Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.