No 'Smollett deal' for Hoffman Estates woman
In the end, Candace Clark didn't get a Jussie Smollett deal.
But facing limited options, the unemployed Hoffman Estates woman agreed Thursday to accept an offer in her disorderly conduct case that allows her to pay half of the money Cook County prosecutors had originally sought.
"I'm really not satisfied," Clark, 21, said after her brief hearing at the Rolling Meadows courthouse had wrapped up. "I prefer that my punishment was a little bit lower than what they gave me."
Clark is accused of making a false police report. Her case made headlines in April, when the judge overseeing it blasted prosecutors for treating her differently than the "Empire" actor who was accused of staging a hate crime attack. Smollett was also charged with disorderly conduct, but in a case that, Judge Marc Martin said, was far more "egregious" than Clark's -- and yet he had his charges abruptly dropped earlier this year without any formal conditions.
For the full story, click here.