Thank you to our 2018-19 Leadership Team judges
It's a big job to study all of the Leadership Team applications and pick the winners. The educators who serve as our judges give of their time freely. We at the Daily Herald are very appreciative -- we couldn't do it without them!
• Jeff Bialeschki has been a school counselor at St. Charles East High School since 2005. He has a master's degree in counseling and human services, and while at St. Charles East he has advised the Peer Leadership Program, the Studio Theater Program, the student council and the Musical Theater Program.
• Bridget Buckley, director of counseling at St. Francis High School in Wheaton, has a Bachelor of Arts degree in psychology and a master's in school counseling. She coordinated the Youth Employment and Training Program and was an Adjunct Instructor at Kishwaukee College, and became the director of counseling Aurora Central Catholic High School before joining St. Francis in 2018.
• Lisa Horcher, the Community Connections Coordinator for Barrington High School, connects high school students to volunteer opportunities in the Barrington area. She has been at BHS for nine years. She graduated from the University of Illinois with a degree in geography.
• Dan Klett is the principal of Wauconda High School, was formerly the assistant principal at Wauconda and the dean of students at Woodstock High School. He has a bachelor's degree in biology and a graduate degree in educational administration. Klett was president of the ISA board of directors from 2012-16.
• John Novak is the assistant principal for student activities at John Hersey High School, where he has worked for more than 30 years. He oversees the school variety show, honors assemblies, the annual alumni basketball tournament and fundraisers. He was named a 2018 Hearts of Gold recipient by the village of Arlington Heights. Novak has taught all levels of math, coached four sports and ran the IHSA state tennis finals.
• Monica Novak is the college and career coordinator at Naperville North High School, where she has worked for 10 years at the elementary, junior high and high school levels. Prior to joining District 203, she spent 20 years in corporate and small business administration. She is a published author and a graduate of Purdue University Northwest.
• Dan Thorpe is director of college guidance at Marmion Academy in Aurora, where he is also the head football coach and head track coach. He has a master's in school counseling and a teaching degree in the social sciences. He is the manager/moderator of the weight room and weightlifting club.
• Norma Vega-Rodriguez is a counselor at Glenbard East High School, and has been a school counselor for 35 years -- 18 in Massachusetts and the last 17 in Illinois. She is retiring after the 2018-19 school year.