WinterFest, a sure cure for cabin fever, returns to Volo Bog Jan. 13
Volo Bog State Natural Area's 27th Annual WinterFest offers a blend of indoor and outdoor activities to remedy the midwinter doldrums for anyone in need of a cure for cabin fever.
The event will be held from noon to 4 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 13,
Indoor activities include:
• Live music from Miles Over Mountains, a progressive bluegrass band based in McHenry. Their live shows are high energy, centered around an arsenal of original material and a refreshing variety of cover songs served up in their own unique style. Since their inception in early 2014, Miles Over Mountains has continued to turn heads across the nation growing their momentum, fan base and schedule. They've performed hundreds of shows at bars, clubs, music festivals, and (three years ago) Volo Bog State Natural Area. Learn more at www.MilesOverMountains.com.
• The awards for Volo Bog's 32nd Annual Nature Photo Contest will be presented between music sets. First, second and third place awards will be given in seven categories: Color Vertebrate and Color Plant at 12:45 p.m.; Color Invertebrate, Black-and-White and Human/Nature at 1:45 p.m.; Color Landscape and Beyond the Midwest at 2:45 p.m.; and Best of Show People's Choice and Judges Awards at 3:45 p.m.
• Winter crafts will be available upstairs in the Visitor Center. Materials will be provided for creating fun take-home treasures.
• Refreshments: Friends of Volo Bog will have hot cocoa, sodas and cookies for sale.
Some outdoor activities are weather dependent. Planned activities include:
• Bog Tours. Join Volo Bog's 45-minute tours to learn about bogs and their winter secrets. Eight start times will be available from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Meet under the oak tree out front.
• Children and adults are invited to enter the snow sculpting contest if snow is packable, with prizes in four categories: Youth, Teen, Family/Group and Adult. For rules and an entry form, email email@example.com.
• Cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, and hiking can be enjoyed on five miles of trails over rolling hills through woodland, wetland and prairie. Bring your own skis or snowshoes.
Admission is free, but donations will be accepted. Friends of Volo Bog, a 501(c)(3) membership organization, happily accept donations to support this and other programs at Volo Bog State Natural Area. Donations may be tax-deductible.
Volo Bog State Natural Area is an Illinois Department of Natural Resources site, located at 28478 W. Brandenburg Road, Ingleside. For information, contact the site, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (815) 344-1294.