Fire breaks out at century-old Libertyville home under renovation

Libertyville firefighters said they put out a fire early Sunday morning at a century-old home undergoing renovation.

At 12:34 a.m., firefighters responded after a Cook Street resident reported smoke in the area.

They located the fire in the 300 block of Lake Street. Firefighters said the home, which was more than 100 years old and had seen several additions over the years, was vacant and under construction.

Due to its age and the type of construction, they said the fire was difficult to access and extinguish.

Firefighters said the "balloon type construction" allowed the fire to travel through many empty spaces.

Initial crews entering the home said a large hole had burned through the first floor.

Minutes later, fire was found on the second floor and the attic.

At 10:30 a.m., the fire department was still on the scene, spraying water on the building.

No injuries were reported. The fire is currently under investigation.

Preliminary reports indicate the fire started on the first floor.

Article Comments
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the "flag" link in the lower-right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.