Man, two dogs die after Elgin fire
A man and two dogs died after a fire caused by heating tape at a mobile home in Elgin, officials said.
The fire department responded to a call at 6:41 p.m. Sunday in the 400 block of Sadler Avenue, in the Old Oak Estates neighborhood, according to a fire department news release. The man died of smoke inhalation at Presence St. Joseph Hospital, Battalion Chief Terry Bruce said.
Firefighters found heavy fire underneath and inside the one-story, single-family trailer home. Neighbors, who called 911, told officials two people lived in the home; the second resident was not home at the time, Bruce said.
The first fire engine arrived about one minute and 17 seconds after the call; the man was removed from the home within 12 minutes, Bruce said.
The heating tape was connected to an outlet in the home via an extension chord, Bruce said. The fire caused an estimated $30,000 in damage to the residence, which was red-tagged as uninhabitable.
The Kane County coroner's office said it expected to release the name of the man Monday evening.