Images: #TBT Gallery looks back at suburban hospitals

 
 
Posted11/30/2017 1:00 AM

With the influx of residents to the Chicago suburbs in the last 60 years, the need for hospitals grew.

Hundreds of the huge, expensive institutions provide treatment and support to the population. Some specialize in certain medical expertise while others have great research and experimentation reputations. Advancements in medical practices are made each day in the Chicago suburbs.

A helicopter view of Alexian Brothers Hospital in Elk Grove Village in 1969 shows a lot of open land.
  A helicopter view of Alexian Brothers Hospital in Elk Grove Village in 1969 shows a lot of open land.
Daily Herald file photo, 1969
A brick mansion in Des Plaines reportedly had the first indoor plumbing in the city and became Forest Hospital. It also housed a day care facility.
  A brick mansion in Des Plaines reportedly had the first indoor plumbing in the city and became Forest Hospital. It also housed a day care facility.
Daily Herald file photo, 1982
Contractors, architects and politicians gather at the site of the new Northwest Community Hospital on Central Rd. In Arlington Heights. The hospital opened in 1959.
  Contractors, architects and politicians gather at the site of the new Northwest Community Hospital on Central Rd. In Arlington Heights. The hospital opened in 1959.
Daily Herald file photo, 1958
Nuns play Chinese checkers after their shift at Holy Family Hospital in Des Plaines.
  Nuns play Chinese checkers after their shift at Holy Family Hospital in Des Plaines.
Daily Herald file photo, 1971
A new water tower was constructed for Holy Family Hospital in Des Plaines in 1965. It held 500,000 gallons.
  A new water tower was constructed for Holy Family Hospital in Des Plaines in 1965. It held 500,000 gallons.
From Daily Herald files, 1965
The first baby born at the first Alexian Brothers Hospital in Elk Grove Village came a week after the hospital opened in 1966.
  The first baby born at the first Alexian Brothers Hospital in Elk Grove Village came a week after the hospital opened in 1966.
Daily Herald file photo, 1966
The first Alexian Brothers Hospital was a wood framed house donated by the Bishop of Chicago. Brother Bonaventure, the first administrator, carried the first patient to his bed on his back here.
  The first Alexian Brothers Hospital was a wood framed house donated by the Bishop of Chicago. Brother Bonaventure, the first administrator, carried the first patient to his bed on his back here.
Daily Herald file photo, 1962
The graphic, modern design of the steel beams of the Hoffman Estates Community Hospital care in stark contrast to the farmer harvesting corn in 1978.
  The graphic, modern design of the steel beams of the Hoffman Estates Community Hospital care in stark contrast to the farmer harvesting corn in 1978.
Daily Herald file photo, 1978
The Hoffman Estates Community Hospital eventually became part of the Alexian Brothers group of suburban hospitals in Cook County.
  The Hoffman Estates Community Hospital eventually became part of the Alexian Brothers group of suburban hospitals in Cook County.
Daily Herald file photo, 1980
Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge got an additional three floors added to the existing seven, as well as a five-story addition on the west side.
  Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge got an additional three floors added to the existing seven, as well as a five-story addition on the west side.
Daily Herald file photo, 1964
In 1964, the world's largest high-pressure oxygen clinical research unit was built at Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge. The huge tanks are larger than the vehicles in the parking lot.
  In 1964, the world's largest high-pressure oxygen clinical research unit was built at Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge. The huge tanks are larger than the vehicles in the parking lot.
Daily Herald file photo
A cold day in December, 1963 was when a large group turned the first shovel at the groundbreaking ceremony for Alexian Brothers Hospital in Elk Grove Village.
  A cold day in December, 1963 was when a large group turned the first shovel at the groundbreaking ceremony for Alexian Brothers Hospital in Elk Grove Village.
Daily Herald file photo, 1963
Hinsdale Hospital was asking the county of DuPage to give $1 million toward their $20 million capital improvement program in 1990.
  Hinsdale Hospital was asking the county of DuPage to give $1 million toward their $20 million capital improvement program in 1990.
Daily Herald file photo, 1990
The $11 million Glendale Heights Community Hospital had 186 beds when it opened in 1980.
  The $11 million Glendale Heights Community Hospital had 186 beds when it opened in 1980.
Daily Herald file photo, 1980
Elmhurst Community Hospital covers virtually a whole city block with a $5 million expansion at left.
  Elmhurst Community Hospital covers virtually a whole city block with a $5 million expansion at left.
Daily Herald file photo, 1967
Holy Family Hospital on the Des Plaines River in Des Plaines.
Holy Family Hospital on the Des Plaines River in Des Plaines.
From Daily Herald files, 2000
Northwest Community Hospital opened a 24-hour-a-day walk-in clinic in Schaumburg in 1982 and was proud of it's open lobby.
  Northwest Community Hospital opened a 24-hour-a-day walk-in clinic in Schaumburg in 1982 and was proud of it's open lobby.
Daily Herald file photo, 1982
0 Comments
                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
 
Article Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.