A timeline of First Division Museum milestones

The First Division Museum will unveil its renovated exhibits Saturday. Here's a look back on the history of the museum in Wheaton:

1958: Cantigny Park opens at the former estate of Col. Robert R. McCormick.

1960: The original First Division Museum opens in what is now the Visitor Center.

1992: New First Division Museum opens in current building on the park's south side.

March 2016: First Division Museum officials announce redesign.

April 2017: Landscape portion of "Project New Leaf," a $25 million transformation of Cantigny Park, breaks ground.

August 2017: First Division Museum reopens with renovated exhibits.

Cantigny museum chronicles modern missions of Army's oldest division

Crowds line up out the door to attend the grand opening of the original First Division Museum in August 1960. Courtesy of Cantigny Park
The tanks that now stand guard outside the First Division Museum used to sit between the front entrance and the Visitor Center. Courtesy of Cantigny Park
Article Comments
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the "flag" link in the lower-right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.