Hectic family room needs a touch of calming color
We would love if you picked our living room to redo! We are a busy family with a 3-year-old and 10-month-old and two working parents!
We wish we had more time to decorate, but sadly, our lives have taken priority. We appreciate the chance to be considered.
Design by Acanthus Design, Barrington
Expert: Deb Watson, owner, www.acanthusdesigninteriors.com.
Adding small touches to this space, such as blind or window treatments to the existing window, will help to make this room more inviting and look finished. Storage pieces will allow the family to store toys for easy access, yet put away easily, too.
• First thing I would address is the walls. The existing color is a bit dull so I am suggesting to paint all the walls with a medium hued ocher yellow such as Benjamin Moores' Citrine AF-370 to warm the space and create a cozy glow.
• With the furniture, I would look as using some of the existing furniture. Start with keeping the existing bookshelves as these are ideal for much needed storage. For seating, I would add an Omnia Leather Georgia 82-inch sofa and chair from O'Reilly Furniture that provides seating for the entire family that fits nicely in the space. I would select a durable caramel-colored leather that will tie in nicely with the aforementioned wall color.
• Add interesting (not matched) lamps on Modesto end tables positioned at both ends of the sofa for additional lighting. A large rectangular Modesto Cocktail table would help house the children's toys and books so that not everything has to be displayed on the bookshelves -- minimizing the clutter!
• A double rod at the ceiling, above the window, would allow for some privacy sheers behind and a pair of muted patterned drapery panels on the sides to frame the window and the sofa. Tie in the black of the TV cabinet with black, golden yellow, russet red and a splash of happy green with pillows, tie backs, lamp shades, accessories and art.
• Anchor this family space with an area rug that will show off the beauty of your hardwood floor, yet provide a comfortable place for the kids to play.