5 parades to get you in the St. Patrick's Day spirit this weekend
Go green in a big way next weekend as parades and fests in Chicago and the suburbs get everyone in the spirit of St. Patrick's Day.
Some suburbs hosted their parades early, but there are still a few Saturday, March 16, and the South Side Irish parade in Chicago on Sunday, March 17.
Here's a look at five:
The West Suburban Irish St. Patrick's Day parade in Naperville features floats and more on Saturday, March 16.
- Daily Herald file photo
• The annual West Suburban Irish St. Patrick's Day parade begins at 10 a.m. Saturday from Naperville North High School, 899 N. Mill St., then proceeds south to Jefferson, east to Main Street, then south on Main to Water Street. If you want to start the day earlier, you can join the St. Paddy's Day 5K Walk or Run at 8 a.m. www.wsirish.org.
• Palatine Paints the Town Green parade kicks off at 11 a.m. Saturday at Wood and Oak streets in downtown Palatine and continues west on Wood to Smith and north to Colfax. The fun includes a scavenger hunt, which participants can register for on the website or at the American Legion, 122 W. Palatine Road, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. There's also entertainment and food specials at local restaurants. stpatspalatine.com.
• The Barrington Celtic Fest is indoors this year at McGonigal's Pub & The Loft at 105 S. Cook St., Barrington, from 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. Friday and Saturday, March 15 and 16, and from 9 a.m. to 1 a.m. Sunday, March 17. Free. Visit mcgonigalspub.com for details.
• Chicago's downtown St. Patrick's Day parade starts at noon Saturday, with the procession traveling north on Columbus Drive from Balbo to Monroe. Get there early if you want to see the dyeing of the Chicago River, which starts at 9 a.m. choosechicago.com.
• Lake Villa's annual St. Patrick's Day parade begins at noon Saturday at Palombi School, 133 McKinley Ave., and ends at the Metra station on Cedar Avenue. The festivities continue at the Lake Villa VFW, 130 Grand Ave., where visitors can buy a corned beef and cabbage lunch. www.lake-villa.org.
• The Thom McNamee Memorial St. Patrick's Day Fireworks are at 8 p.m. Saturday, March 16, over the Fox River in East Dundee. The Dundee Scottish Bagpipes will also perform. Visit dundeestpats.com for more information.
• Chicago's South Side Irish Parade steps off at noon on St. Patrick's Day from 103rd and Western Avenue and heads south to 115th Street. www.southsideirishparade.org.