Sound check: Brett Young, Brett Eldredge, Brothers Osborne top Smokeout lineup
Brett Young, Brett Eldredge and the Brothers Osborne top The 2018 Windy City Smokeout lineup, announced Monday morning, for the three-day music and barbecue festival. The lineup will also feature bastions of country music Aaron Lewis, Cody Johnson, Ashley McBride, the Turnpike Troubadors and much more Friday through Sunday, July 13-15, at 560 W. Grand Ave., Chicago. Tickets are on sale now; Friday and Sunday tickets start at $40; Saturday tickets start at $45; three-day passes start at $110. For more information and tickets, see windycitysmokeout.com.
Darien native Andrew Salgado may be a Nashville country recording artist now, but you just can't take the Chicago out of the guy. He returns to the suburbs with some new original music -- as well as his take on some country favorites -- for an album-release show in Woodridge next week. A ticket to the performance, party and meet-and-greet also nets you a copy of Salgado's new "'86' Vol 1," which will be distributed at the event. Shanahan's Food & Spirits, 1999 75th St., Woodridge. $10. andrewsalgado.net. 6:15 p.m. Friday, Feb. 9
Owens Room renovations
Alternative rock band Owens Room recently announced Friday's show will be Owens Room's last. But rest assured, the uplifting and warm-spirited DuPage-based band is not going anywhere. The trio is solidifying a new name and branding while experimenting with a different sound and some new recordings. You can get a taste when they play with THE WLDLFE, Hardcastle and Capital Soirée at Chicago's Beat Kitchen this weekend. Beat Kitchen, 2100 W. Belmont, Chicago. $10. (773) 281-4444 or beatkitchen.com. 9 p.m. Friday, Feb. 9
Friday Pilots, Ember Oceans at HVAC Pub
Caleb Hiltunen and Drew Polovick are pushing Friday Pilots Club's sound in new and interesting directions. The more recent recordings are heavy on the polish and enjoy a charming pop aesthetic while retaining the hallmark bluesy growl Caleb brings to the mic. (Do yourself a favor and check out "End of It" on Spotify.) Catch some of their new music and stage presentation when they play with Ember Oceans (who just might be bringing a new song to the stage as well), The Fundamental KiNk and Blaqrock in Wrigleyville this weekend. HVAC Pub, 3530 N. Clark St., Chicago. Free; ticket reservations available on Facebook.com. (773) 789-8864 or hvacpub.com. 9 p.m. Friday, Feb. 9
With Valentine's Day just around the corner, here are a few quirky takes on love to share with your sweetest one.
• "But the best story that I could ever tell is the one where I am growing old with you." Even though Ludo isn't active on the scene anymore, the St. Louis band still plucks heartstrings with their sweet, funny, folksy "Anything for You."
• Chicago's I Fight Dragons has solidified their place on our indie rock scene with their chiptune hits, but one song that gives me chills every time is "Always," a beautiful ballad touched by real-life dreams and fears. "I can't promise you there won't be pain. I can't promise to remain the same. But when you're scared, I'll be there tonight and always."
• The Hoosiers kick things into a higher gear with their poppy "Made to Measure," a tale of runaway love with that one perfect fit.
• Michael Glabicki and Dirk Miller of Rusted Root: 8 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 6, at S.P.A.C.E., 1245 Chicago Ave., Evanston. $15-$27. (847) 492-8860 or evanstonspace.com.
• MER's Music Showcase: 7 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 7, at Cubby Bear, 1059 W. Addison St., Chicago. Free. (773) 327-1662 or cubbybear.com.
• Josh Bryant, Matt Tatum: 8 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 8, at Cubby Bear, 1059 W. Addison St., Chicago. Free. (773) 327-1662 or cubbybear.com.
• Billy Don Burns, Liar's Trial: 9 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 8, at BrauerHouse, 1000 N. Rohlwing Road, Lombard. $10-$12. (630) 495-2141 or brauerhouse.com.
• Gin & Jokes comedy and hip-hop open mic hosted by Mikey to the P: 10 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 1, at Rhyme or Reason, 1938 W. Division St., Chicago. Free; drink package is available. (773) 687-8240 or rhymeorreasonchicago.com.
• D211 Teachers' Union 9th annual Battle of the Bands: 5 p.m. Friday, Feb. 9, at Rochaus, 98 W. Main St., West Dundee. $10. (815) 893-9768 or rochaus.com.
• 44th annual Carmel Street Scenes: 6:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday, Feb. 9 and 10, at Carmel Catholic High School, 1 Carmel Parkway, Mundelein. $20 in advance, $25 at the door; collectible drinkware add-ons available. Guests can venture from room to room for casino games, theater and musical entertainment from Gina Gonzalez and the Wingmen, Trident Deep, Who's Who and many more area musicians. Donations go to the school's operating expenses. See carmelstreetscenes.com for more information.
• Blackened, Fools Brew: 8 p.m. Friday, Feb. 9, at BaseCamp Pub, 5750 Lakeside Drive, Lisle. $5-$8. (331) 777-4712 or basecamppub.com.
• The Nick Bell Band: 8 p.m. Friday, Feb. 9, at Evanston Rocks, 1012 Church St., Evanston. $8. (847) 859-2021 or evanstonrocks.com.
• CHNNLL, The Bishop's Daredevil Stunt Club, The Daily Fare, Jeff and Mario: 8 p.m. Friday, Feb. 9, at Elbo Room, 2871 N. Lincoln Ave., Chicago. $9-$10. (773) 549-5549 or elboroomlive.com.
• The Big Lagniappe: 9 p.m. Friday, Feb. 9, at BrauerHouse, 1000 N. Rohlwing Road, Lombard. $7-$10. (630) 495-2141 or brauerhouse.com.
• The Cyberiam, Soulsharer: 9 p.m. Friday, Feb. 9, at Wire, 6815 Roosevelt Road, Berwyn. $12-$15. (708) 669-9473 or wireismusic.com.
• Velvet Jimis, Harry Hmura: 9 p.m. Friday, Feb. 9, at FitzGerald's, 6615 Roosevelt Road, Berwyn. $10. (708) 788-2118 or fitzgeraldsnightclub.com.
• Mojo & the Bayou Gypsies: 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 10, at the McAninch Arts Center at College of DuPage, 425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn. $48-$53. (630) 942-4000 or atthemac.org.
• Moon Taxi, Wilder: 8 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 10, at Durty Nellie's, 180 N. Smith St., Palatine. $25. (847) 358-9150 or durtynellies.com.
• Lonesome Still: 8 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 10, at FitzGerald's SideBar, 6615 Roosevelt Road, Berwyn. $10 donation. (708) 788-2118 or fitzgeraldsnightclub.com.
• Boy Band Review: 8 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 10, at Cubby Bear, 1059 W. Addison St., Chicago. $5-$10. (773) 327-1662 or cubbybear.com.
• Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Night Beats: 8 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 10, at the Vic Theatre, 3145 N. Sheffield Ave., Chicago. $31-$41. (773) 472-0449 or victheatre.com.
• Trick Shooter Social Club, Two Trouser Betty, ChinaRose, The Laughing Hearts: 8 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 10, at Silvie's Lounge, 1902 W. Irving Park Road, Chicago. $10. (773) 871-6239 or silvieslounge.com.
• Cash'd Out: 9 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 10, at BrauerHouse, 1000 N. Rohlwing Road, Lombard. $10-$14. (630) 495-2141 or brauerhouse.com.
• Two Friends, Milk N Cooks, Smiirk: 9 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 10, at Bottom Lounge, 1375 W. Lake St., Chicago. $10-$20. (312) 666-6775 or bottomlounge.com.
• New Day Rising, Stone The Crow, Bury the Shadows (formerly Best Kept Secret), A Story Unwritten, Bullet to the Heart, The Almas: 4 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 11, at Bada Brew, 802 Theodore St., Crest Hill. $13. (815) 726-3401 or badabrewbooking.wixsite.com/venue.
• Soul Joke, New Age Americans, Fire the Cannon, The Local: 4:30 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 11, at Wire, 6815 Roosevelt Road, Berwyn. $5. (708) 669-9473 or wireismusic.com.
• 10 Years, From Ashes To New, Dragonfly Red, Marwood's Fall: 7 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 11, at Rochaus, 98 W. Main St., West Dundee. $20-$35. (815) 893-9768 or rochaus.com.
• Jay Farrar, Kevin Andrew Prchal: 7 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 10, at Old Town School of Folk Music's Gary and Laura Maurer Concert Hall, 4544 N. Lincoln Ave., Chicago. $33-$35. (773) 728-6000 or oldtownschool.org.
• P.O.D., Islander, DED: 7 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 14, at Rochaus, 98 W. Main St., West Dundee. $20-$38. (815) 893-9768 or rochaus.com.
• MER's Music Showcase: 7 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 14, at Cubby Bear, 1059 W. Addison St., Chicago. Free. (773) 327-1662 or cubbybear.com.
• The Sea The Sea, Minor Moon: 9 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 14, at The Hideout, 1354 W. Wabansia Ave., Chicago. $10. (773) 227-4433 or hideoutchicago.com.
• The Orphan, the Poet, Friday Pilots Club, The Burst and Bloom, Better Love: 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 15, at Cobra Lounge, 235 N. Ashland Ave., Chicago. $10-$12. (312) 226-6300 or cobralounge.com.
• Dunn Dunn Fest: 8 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 15; 6:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 16; and 6:30 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 17, at FitzGerald's, 6615 Roosevelt Road, Berwyn. $15 for Thursday, $20 each for Friday and Saturday; $40 three-day passes are available. (708) 788-2118 or dunndunnfest.com.
• Dylan Hankey & Brian Hoyt: 8 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 15, at Cubby Bear, 1059 W. Addison St., Chicago. Free. (773) 327-1662 or cubbybear.com.
• Brian Shamie is a Daily Herald multiplatform editor. You can follow him on Twitter at @BShamieDH. Listen to Brian's "2018 Chicago Sound Check vol. 1" Spotify playlist for a sampling of many of the local bands he's written about for the Daily Herald recently.