Weekend picks: 'Nutcracker' leaps into Batavia Fine Arts Centre
Land of sweets
Fox Valley Ballet stages its spin on the classic Tchaikovsky Christmas ballet with "The Fox Valley Nutcracker" this weekend at the Batavia Fine Arts Centre, 1201 Main St., Batavia. $40 VIP seats; $25-$35; $20-$30 kids ages 10 and under. (630) 232-0683 or foxvalleynutcracker.com. 2 and 7 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25; 2 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 26
Get ideas for making holiday decorations at the Festival of Art & Craft Shows this weekend at the Lake County Fairgrounds, 1060 E. Peterson Road, Grayslake. $5. (847) 680-7200 or stepbysteppromotions.com. 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25; 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 26
Peruse booths full of collectible toys, comics, albums and more at the Chicago Pop Culture Convention this weekend at the Pheasant Run Resort Mega Center, 4051 E. Main St., St. Charles. $10 one-day admission; $15 two-day admission. (715) 526-9769 or chicagopopculturecon.com. 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25; 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 26
Long Grove celebrates
Long Grove begins its annual vintage holiday celebration on Friday, Nov. 24, with several weekends of events at Robert Parker Coffin and Old McHenry roads. The fun includes appearances by Mr. and Mrs. Claus, free horse-drawn carriage rides, strolling costumed carolers, decorated Christmas trees and more. Free. longgrove.org. Saturdays and Sundays through Dec. 17
The Wonderland Express returns with model trains and miniature Chicago-area landmarks, such as the Baha'i Temple, at the Chicago Botanic Garden in Glencoe.
- Courtesy of Chicago Botanic Garden
Families can delight in the return of the Chicago Botanic Garden's Wonderland Express. Miniature trains loop around models of Chicago-area landmarks starting this weekend at the Chicago Botanic Garden, 1000 Lake-Cook Road, Glencoe. $13; $10 seniors and kids ages 3-12; $25-$30 parking. (847) 835-5440 or chicagobotanic.org. 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Fridays to Dec. 22; 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 23, to Sunday, Jan. 7 (3 p.m. early closing Dec. 1, 18, 24; closed Dec. 25)
See the musical adaptation of "Arnie the Doughnut," based on the 2003 children's book by Laurie Keller, at Lifeline Theatre, 6912 N. Glenwood Ave., Chicago. A doughnut named Arnie is purchased from a bakery by Mr. Bing. When Bing tries to eat Arnie, surprises begin. $15. lifelinetheatre.com. 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, Nov. 25-26
Chill at Chillfest
The Wicker Park Bucktown Chamber of Commerce is heating up the weekend with the fifth edition of its popular Chillfest, a day when 27 storefront businesses and restaurants throughout the neighborhood shield you from the cold with an afternoon of free acoustic performances from more than 60 area musicians. Plant yourself at a favorite location or spend the day venue-hopping to catch some great performers. Visit wickerparkbucktown.com for the full schedule of venues and musicians. 2 to 6 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25
Light Up the Park
Rosemont's MB Financial Park, 5500 Park Place, kicks off the holidays with the opening of its ice rink. Free admission to the rink; skate rental is $8. For details on skating through Thursday, Jan. 4, visit rosemont.com/mbfinancialpark/entertainment/.
Kelly Sheehan, Jeremy Benton, Sean Montgomery and Kerry Conte in the 2016 national tour of "Irving Berlin's White Christmas." The holiday musical plays Chicago's Cadillac Palace Theatre through Sunday, Dec. 3.
- Courtesy of Jeremy Daniel
Great American carols, including "I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm," "Happy Holiday" and more, are featured in the 2008 Broadway musical "Irving Berlin's White Christmas," which returns for a touring run at the Cadillac Palace Theatre, 151 W. Randolph St., Chicago. $18-$100. (800) 775-2000 or broadwayinchicago.com. 2 and 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25; 2 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 26
Shawn Wayans performs at the Improv Comedy Showcase in Schaumburg.
- Associated Press, 2013
Wayans at Woodfield
Fans of films such as "Scary Movie" and "White Chicks" won't want to miss seeing Shawn Wayans perform standup this weekend at the Improv Comedy Showcase, 5 Woodfield Road, Schaumburg. $33 plus a two-item purchase. (847) 240-2001 or chicago.improv.com. 7 and 9:15 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25; 7 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 26
'Uncle Lar' returns
Local comedian Larry Reeb returns to unleash plenty of sarcasm in his standup shows this week starting Wednesday at Zanies at Pheasant Run Resort, 4051 E. Main St., St. Charles. $22, plus a two-item purchase. (630) 524-0001 or stcharles.zanies.com. 7:30 and 9:45 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25
The rocking ensemble String Cheese Incident ("Stop Drop Roll," "So Much Fun") takes up residence this weekend at the Chicago Theatre, 175 N. State St., Chicago. $74.95. (800) 745-3000 or thechicagotheatre.com. 8 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25
Linda Eder will perform at the North Shore Center for the Performing Arts in Skokie.
Broadway and singing star Linda Eder ("Jekyll & Hyde") shows off her amazing vocal range in concert on Saturday at the North Shore Center for the Performing Arts, 9501 Skokie Blvd., Skokie. $68-$75. (847) 673-6300 or northshorecenter.org. 8 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25
Spin through more than a mile of animated light displays with the Aurora Festival of Lights, which returns this weekend at Phillips Park, 1000 Ray Moses Drive. No admission charge, but donations welcome. (630) 709-8503 or aurorafestivaloflights.com. 5 to 9 p.m. Sunday to Thursday; 5 to 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday; Nov. 24 to Dec. 26
• Vienna Boys' Choir: 3 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25, at Symphony Center, 220 S. Michigan Ave., Chicago. $25-$85. (312) 294-3000 or cso.org.
• Kurt Elling: 5 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25, at City Winery, 1200 W. Randolph St., Chicago. $38-$50. (312) 733-9463 or citywinery.com.
• Local H, The Run Around: 7 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25, at Tailgaters, 431 W. Boughton Road, Bolingbrook. $10-$20. (630) 679-1994 or tailgatersgrill.com.
• Saba: 7 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25, at House of Blues, 329 N. Dearborn St., Chicago. $18-$20. (312) 923-2000 or houseofblues.com.
• BiG SUiT -- A Tribute To Talking Heads: 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25, at Metropolis Performing Arts Centre, 111 W. Campbell St., Arlington Heights. $25. (847) 577-2121 or metropolisarts.com.
• The String Cheese Incident: 8 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25, at the Chicago Theatre, 175 N. State St., Chicago. $74.95. (312) 462-6300 or msg.com.
• Heartache Tonight -- A Tribute to the Eagles: 8 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25, at Raue Center for the Arts, 26 N Williams Street, Crystal Lake. $25-$35. (815) 356-9212 or rauecenter.org.
• Cadillac Casanovas: 8 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25, at Frankie's Blue Room, 16 Chicago Ave., Naperville. $7. (630) 416-4898 or frankiesblueroom.net.
• Squeeze, Wesley Stace: 8 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25, at Vic Theatre, 3145 N. Sheffield Ave., Chicago. $40-$60. (773) 472-0449 or victheatre.com.
• Linda Eder: 8 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25, at North Shore Center for the Performing Arts, 9501 Skokie Blvd., Skokie. $68-$75. (847) 679-9501 or northshorecenter.org.
• After The Fight, Fetch The Burn Book, From The Start: 8 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25, at Burlington, 3425 W. Fullerton Ave., Chicago. Check with venue for ticket info. (773) 384-3243 or theburlingtonbar.com.
• Damaged Justice (Metallica Tribute), Sixxx (Motley Crue Tribute): 9 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25, at BrauerHouse, 1000 N. Rohlwing Road, Lombard. $8-$10. (630) 495-2141 or brauerhouse.com.
• Twista, Bekoe, Gee Dubb, Mayfair Mafia, DJ Crazy Eddie: 9 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25, at Wire, 6815 Roosevelt Road, Berwyn. $25-$200. (708) 669-9473 or wireismusic.com.
• Observing With Annie, The Shindiggas, Waves Shore, Sage: 5:30 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 26, at Wire, 6815 Roosevelt Road, Berwyn. $8-$10. (708) 669-9473 or wireismusic.com.
• Vinyl Theatre, Patternist, The Giving Moon: 7 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 29, at Beat Kitchen, 2100 W. Belmont Ave., Chicago. $12-$15. (773) 281-4444 or beatkitchen.com.
Information is provided by entertainment venues. Check with venue before purchasing tickets. For more concert listings, visit dailyherald.com/calendar.