Weekend picks: Ko-Thi explores African dance at Ravinia
Kids can learn about traditional African music and dances when Milwaukee's Ko-Thi Dance Company and its junior troupe, Ton Ko-Thi, perform the family-friendly show "Vibrations" on Saturday morning at the Ravinia Festival Martin Theatre, 418 Sheridan Road, Highland Park. $10. (847) 266-5100 or ravinia.org. 11 a.m. Saturday, June 17
Let's go Lego
See elaborate sculptures made from Lego and Duplo blocks with the return of Brickworld this weekend at the Renaissance Hotel and Convention Center, 1551 N. Thoreau Drive, Schaumburg. $12; kids ages 3 and under admitted free. (847) 303-4100 or brickworld.com. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, June 17; 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday, June 18
See pipers, dancers and athletes compete at the 31st annual Scottish Festival and Highland Games this weekend at Hamilton Lakes, 1 Pierce Place, Itasca. $20 and $15 for seniors. (708) 426-7149 or scottishfestivalchicago.org. 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday, June 17
See purebred canines compete at the Little Fort Kennel Club Dog Show at the Lake County Fairgrounds, 1060 E. Peterson Road, Grayslake. Free; $5 for parking. (847) 254-6166 or royjonesdogshows.com. 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday, June 17, and 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Sunday, June 18
Elaine Silets (aka "The Train Lady") opens her Gardens and Garden Model Railways as well as the private Harvey M. Silets Memorial O-Scale Railroad Museum at Wandering Tree Estate for the Barrington Country Garden & Antique Faire.
Elaine Silets (aka "The Train Lady") opens her Garden Model Railways as part of the 17th Annual Barrington Country Garden & Antique Faire this weekend. It's a fundraiser for the charity Hands of Hope, and starts from a parking lot near Barrington High School, 800 Hart Road, Barrington (shuttles provided). $55; $80 early buy Friday ticket starting at 8:30 a.m. (847) 381-7367 or handsofhopeonline.org/faire.asp. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, June 17
Start your engines!
The Volo Auto Museum, at 27582 Volo Village Road in Volo, celebrates the release of the Disney/Pixar animated film "Cars 3" with special events Saturday. Museum guests can pose for photos with the "Cars" character Tow Mater. The museum ticket gives guests free admission to see "Cars 3" that night at the McHenry Outdoor Theater, 1510 N. Chapel Hill Road, McHenry. Museum admission is $9-$15. volocars.com. 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, June 17
Art in Bloom
See artwork and watch demonstrations at the Art in Bloom Fine Art Festival at Cantigny Park, 1S151 Winfield Road, Wheaton. Fest features kids' crafts, music by Guitarra Azul and Classical Blast, food trucks and more. Free with paid $10 parking fee. cantigny.org. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, June 17-18
They've got the blues
Jonny Lang, Nicholas David, the Guy King Band and more artists are featured on day two of the 21st annual Blues on the Fox festival at RiverEdge Park, 360 Broadway, Aurora. $20 per day. (630) 896-6666 or paramountaurora.com. 3 p.m. Saturday, June 17
Comedian Gary Owen returns to the Improv Comedy Showcase in Schaumburg.
- Courtesy of Samantha Annis
Fans of Gary Owen and his reality TV series on BET won't want to miss seeing the comedian perform standup this weekend at the Improv Comedy Showcase, 5 Woodfield Road, Schaumburg. $38 plus a two-item; $43 VIP seating. (847) 240-2001 or chicago.improv.com. 7 and 9:15 p.m. Saturday, June 17; 7 p.m. Sunday, June 18
The Red Delicious
The Red Delicious quartet performs mainstream pop music at Old Towne Pub and Eatery, 40W290 La Fox Road, St. Charles. No cover. (630) 513-4240 or otpwasco.com. 9 p.m. Saturday, June 17
Dads are free
In celebration of Father's Day, dads get free admission (when accompanied by another paid guest) Sunday at Santa's Village Azoosment Park, 601 Dundee Ave., East Dundee. In its 58th season, the theme park offers a new four-story Super Cyclone roller coaster, along with other rides, animal shows and more. santasvillagedundee.com. 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday, June 18
The Tempel Lipizzans return for a 35th season at Tempel Farms in Wadsworth starting Sunday, June 18.
- Courtesy of John Borys Photography
Marvel at The Tempel Lipizzans when performances for their 35th season begin on Sunday at Tempel Farms, 17000 W. Wadsworth Road, Wadsworth. $17-$32. (847) 244-5330 or tempelfarms.com. Opening performance at 1 p.m. Sunday, June 18; continues through Sunday, Sept. 10
The Elmhurst History Museum, 120 E. Park Ave., Elmhurst, opened its newest exhibit, "Disco Demolition: The Night Disco Died," last Friday. Learn about Disco Demolition Night, which happened on July 12, 1979, in the middle of a White Sox doubleheader game in Chicago. What started as a radio station's promotional event ended with the Comiskey Park field being damaged by spectators and the Sox being forced to forfeit a game. The story is told through video clips, photos and personal items from Chicago radio personality Steve Dahl and more. Free. (630) 833-1457 or elmhursthistory.org. 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday and Tuesday through Friday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday. Exhibit runs through Sunday, Oct. 8.
• Naper Nights Community Concert Series: 5 to 10 p.m. Saturday, June 17, Naper Settlement, 523 S Webster St., Naperville. $10-$15. School of Rock, Fortunate Sons and The Trippin Billies perform on June 16. School of Rock, The Neverly Brothers and American English perform on June 17. (630) 420-6010 or napernights.com.
• The Belvederes: 6 p.m. Saturday, June 17, Nero's Pizza and Pub, 300 Eastgate Court, Algonquin. No cover. (847) 458-0282 or nerospub.com.
• Mike and Joe: 6 p.m. Saturday, June 17, BaseCamp Pub, 5750 Lakeside Drive, Lisle. $8. (331) 777-4712 or basecamppub.com.
• Early June, Ship Captain Crew, Wayside Story: 6 p.m. Saturday, June 17, Subterranean, 2011 W. North Ave., Chicago. $7-$12. (773) 278-6600 or subt.net.
• Doc Severinsen: 6:30 p.m. Saturday, June 17, on the mall of Elmhurst College's arboretum campus. 190 S. Prospect Ave., Elmhurst. Legendary trumpet player and former "Tonight Show" bandleader performs with the ELmhurst College Jazz Band. Free. (630) 617-6186 or elmhurst.edu.
• Charlene Brooks with "Brooks Sings Broadway": 8 p.m. Saturday, June 17, Skokie Theatre, 7924 Lincoln Ave., Skokie. Cabaret. $30. (847) 677-7761 or skokietheatre.org.
• Enuff Z' Nuff and Chronic Edge: 8 p.m. Saturday, June 17, H.O.M.E. Bar, 1227 N. Rand Road, Arlington Heights. Rock. (847) 577-4663 or homebarchicago.com.
• Brian Setzer's Rockabilly Riot!: 8:30 p.m. Saturday, June 17, House of Blues, 329 N. Dearborn St., Chicago. $42.50. (312) 923-2000 or houseofblues.com.
• The Delta Saints, Rebel Soul Revival: 9 p.m. Saturday, June 17, Beat Kitchen, 2100 W. Belmont Ave., Chicago. $12. (773) 281-4444 or beatkitchen.com.
• Juliet Fox at Afterlife: 10 p.m. Saturday, June 17, Annex Nightclub, 1958 W. North Ave., Chicago. $10; free before midnight or with RSVP at afterlifechi.com.
• Jason Warrior, The Remnant, Fairground, Carrie Patterson, Authentic Pines: 5:30 p.m. Sunday, June 18, Wire, 6815 W. Roosevelt Road, Berwyn. $8-$10. (708) 669-9473 or wireismusic.com.
• Metallica: 6 p.m. Sunday, June 18, Soldier Field, 1410 Museum Campus Dr., Chicago. $55.50-$155.50. (312) 235-7000 or soldierfield.net.
• Small Potatoes: 7 p.m. Sunday, June 18, Grayslake Heritage Center, 164 Hawley St., Grayslake. Folk duo of Jacquie Manning and Rich Prezioso (Small Potatoes) perform in a Lake County Folk Club-sponsored concert. Suggested donation is $13-$18. Call (847) 602-8882 for reservations. thelakecountyfolkclub.org.
• macseal, Retirement Party, Movies About Animals, Tiny Kingdoms: 8 p.m. Wednesday, June 21, Beat Kitchen, 2100 W. Belmont Ave., Chicago. $10. (773) 281-4444 or beatkitchen.com.
Information is provided by entertainment venues. Check with venue before purchasing tickets.