Mother's Day gift ideas that go above and beyond
Flowers and brunch, cards and candles, or just breakfast in bed.
These are all popular but unoriginal Mother's Day gifts. If you're looking to do a little more this year, consider these ideas:
• A pink 15.4-inch Vaio NS notebook that contains a built-in Webcam, 4GB RAM and ample storage. ($779 at Abt Electronics, 1200 N. Milwaukee Ave., in Glenview, or abt.com)
• A personalized Spring '09 Wardrobe Session with fashionistas Kathy Brosmith and Linda Jordan from Personal Vogue. First they'll come to her house and go through her closet with her, helping to retool her existing wardrobe. Then, based on her budget and lifestyle, they can educate her on what sorts of looks work best. Price varies depending on services. See personalvogue.com or call (312) 255-8892.
• Divine Chocolate, the fair trade chocolate brand which was among the winners in last year's Daily Herald chocolate taste test, is selling a Mother's Day Gift Box that includes a fair trade scarf, clutch and chocolate. ($45, at serrv.org)
There's also a new "Divine Heavenly Chocolate Recipe Book," filled with fancy recipes like Sticky Upside-down Chocolate Pear Gingerbread. ($35, at Barnes & Noble or serrv.org)
• Harper College's 2009 fashion show, "Fashion Exposé," will feature dozens of student-made and Hollywood-inspired garments.
Professional models walk the runway in the hourlong show, which will be at 1 p.m. and again at 8 p.m. Friday, May 8, in Building M on Harper's main campus, at Algonquin and Roselle roads in Palatine.
Tickets are $15. VIP passes, which include front-table seating, beverages and appetizers and a gift from the college's fashion department, are $30. Sales benefit Harper fashion student scholarships. For tickets, call (847) 925-6100 or visit www.harpercollege.edu/boxoffice.
• Inca's Inc. of Long Grove, in conjunction with Olivia's Past, Casa Brasil and Cleo's, will sponsor a Mother's Day luncheon to benefit the Hawthorn Woods Women's Club from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, May 9, at the Kemper Lakes Golf Club in Kildeer. Tickets are $35 and include lunch, a fashion show and shopping opportunities. For more information, call (847) 955-0223.
New Woodfield campaign
Last week, a new branding campaign was launched at Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg. It's called "Everyone Gets Their Own Woodfield" and features six character illustrations. The characters include high-fashion Valerie, harried mother Connie and all-work Zach. They're now on banners and signs all over the mall.