Communities » Fox River Grove Area News
Honorable mentions: Fox Valley Academic Team, 2015-2016Fox Valley Academic Team honorable mentions, 2015-2016Last Updated May 19, 2016 8:21 AM
2015-2016 Fox Valley Academic TeamPosted May 19, 2016 5:17 AM
These 10 students have different goals, but one thing they have in common is a desire to make the world a better place. And they have the brains, drive and dedication to do so. Meet the Daily Herald’s 2015-16 Fox Valley Academic Team.
Baseball: Oswego East ends West Aurora’s seasonUpdated May 23, 2016 10:08 PM
West Aurora (12-18-1) saw its season come to an end at the Class 4A Metea Valley regional against No. 16 seed Oswego East 14-4 in 5 innings despite Connor Palmby’s double and home run.
Softball: Ruggles, Dundee-Crown topple Cary-GroveUpdated May 23, 2016 9:07 PM
Dundee-Crown won its first postseason softball game since 2011 Monday, defeating Cary-Grove 4-2 in the Class 4A D-C regional opener.
Girls track and field: Cary-Grove’s Freeman state discus champUpdated May 21, 2016 9:35 PM
Cary-Grove senior Nikki Freeman won the Class 3A state discus championship Saturday with a throw of 142 feet, 5 inches at Eastern Illinois University in Charleston.
Girls track and field: Kaneland ties Cahokia for Class 2A state crownUpdated May 21, 2016 9:05 PM
The Kaneland 1,600-meter relay team won the final event of the day Saturday, lifting the Knights to a tie with Cahokia for the Class 2A state girls track and field championship in Charleston.
Softball: Zdroik no-hitter leads St. Edward to 2A regional crownUpdated May 21, 2016 8:00 PM
Senior Lindsay Zdroik threw a six-inning no-hitter with 14 strikeouts and 1 walk Saturday as the St. Edward softball team defeated DePaul College Prep 10-0 to win the Class 2A DePaul Prep regional championship.
Images: Saturday at the State Final Meet in Girls Track & FieldUpdated May 21, 2016 7:29 PM
See action from Saturday at the State Final Meet in Girls Track & Field at O’Brien Stadium on the campus of Eastern Illinois University in Charleston.
Baseball: Elgin Academy wins 1st regional titleUpdated May 21, 2016 6:07 PM
Justin King threw a 1-hitter and Elgin Academy made the most of its only 2 hits Saturday to defeat host Holy Trinity 3-1 at Kerry Wood Field in Chicago to win the Class 1A regional baseball championship.
- Boys tennis: Jacobs dominates Cary-Grove sectional
- Girls soccer: Kaneland, Crystal Lake South win regional titles
- Boys track and field: Kaneland runs away with 2A sectional title
- Girls track and field: Kaneland in prime position to win 2A state title
- Softball: Cary-Grove downs Lakes
- Images: Friday at the State Final Meet in Girls Track & Field
- Baseball: Bartlett tops Streamwood; St. Charles North falls
- Boys track and field: Hoffman Estates ends Batavia’s streak
- Softball: No-hitter for St. Charles North’s Walters; Dundee-Crown’s Ruggles Ks 23
- Baseball: South Elgin falls to Batavia
Fox River Grove Calendar
Recently shared by others
- Church on the Rock to host leadership training seminar
- Speaker to address the pope’s views on ecology
- Renewal Center to host open house
- Taste microbrews during a hike through Glacial Park
- Community agencies launch garden with food pantry customers
- Annual gem, mineral, fossil, and jewelry show returns this weekend
- Historic baseball players needed
- Should servers deny pregnant women alcohol?
- McHenry County seeks input on future plans
- Chicago-area fleets reduce petroleum use by 25 million gallons in 2015
- Children make pine cone bird feeders at the Great Backyard Bird Count (GBBC) class, hosted by Citizens for Conservation in Barrington. During the first part of the class, the children used binoculars to look for birds and count how many they saw. Their results were tallied and added to a global database as part of the international bird count. Tom Benjamin
- Forest preserve employees hauled used Christmas trees to the Baker's Lake heron rookery using all-terrain vehicles and snowmobiles. Volunteers from Citizens for Conservation and Friends of Deer Grove East were waiting on the island to trim the trees and stand them upright or lay them flat, providing nesting structures for herons, egrets and cormorants. Approximately 80 ? 100 Christmas trees are recycled in this way every year to freshen the rookery. Steve Halm
- The Smart Arts Class at St. Mark's Day School in Barrington Hills celebrated Dr. Seuss' birthday with a big celebration. The 4 and 5 year olds learned about the author, read and acted out scenes from an assortment of Seuss books, and dressed in the cat's red and white hat, red bow and whiskers. Dr. Seuss is just one of many well-known authors that the children are introduced to during the year. St. Mark's Day School
- Face N Time takes the stage at the annual Alpine Fest in Lake Zurich. k gerdts
- Artist Kristin Plansky returned to the Fox River Grove Memorial Library to paint a winter-themed Fox River Grove scene to complement the existing summer-themed mural. Jamie Gehin
- Children look for birds as part of the Great Backyard Bird Count (GBBC). The GBBC is an annual event at which bird watchers of all ages count birds to get a real-time snapshot of where birds are all over the world. The local event was hosted by Citizens for Conservation in Barrington. Tom Benjamin
- Ned Zerwic and Ya-Ju Wang are our new physical therapy students interning at Cary Physical Therapy. They are in their second year at the University of Illinois Chicago. Brenda Law, Marketing
- U9 Barrington Broncos Travel Team Spring Classic 2013 Champions: front row, James Ensign, TJ Swidorski, Ryan Anderson, Tommy Kondraros, Danny Sheedy; and back row, Justin Mirski, Logan Eisenbarth, Tristan Roney, Peter Maestranzi, and Brady Dern. Caroline Eisenbarth
More Fox River Grove News
- Fox River Grove Sports
- Baseball: Oswego East ends West Aurora’s season
- Softball: Ruggles, Dundee-Crown topple Cary-Grove
- Girls track and field: Cary-Grove’s Freeman state discus champ
- Girls track and field: Kaneland ties Cahokia for Class 2A state crown
- Softball: Zdroik no-hitter leads St. Edward to 2A regional crown
- Images: Saturday at the State Final Meet in Girls Track & Field
- Baseball: Elgin Academy wins 1st regional title
- Boys tennis: Jacobs dominates Cary-Grove sectional
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
Daily Herald Communities
- 42.195674, -88.216567