Salvation Army dedicates $8 million community center
AURORA -- The Salvation Army's Aurora Corps recently dedicated it's $8 million community center at 550 Redwood Drive.
The center features a chapel, classrooms, kitchen, gymnasium, lobby, food pantry, social services office, 112 parking spaces and home for a mobile canteen.
The 23,030-square-foot project on 2½ acres was launched with a groundbreaking ceremony Oct. 23, 2019. Torn down to make way for the project was a former Moose lodge that later housed a church and a smaller Salvation Army community center.
Joaquin Rangel, Aurora Corps major and pastor, opened a dedication service earlier this month with a welcome and invocation. Clayton Muhammed, Aurora chief communications and equity officer, read a proclamation from Aurora Mayor Richard Irvin celebrating the event.
The Aurora Corps dates to 1885 when it opened in a store front. In 1973, Aurora opened its Second Horizon senior center. A New Life House for boys opened in 1975 and Aurora Corps began a Hispanic ministry in 1991.