How Batavia plans to draw more visitors to North River Street businesses
Outdoor dining tables, umbrellas, lighting and additional signage are among the fixtures Batavia officials believe could help beautify and draw visitors to North River Street.
Financing, soil problems delay Hickory-Kensington apartments in Arlington HeightsThe developers of a proposed five-story, 76-unit apartment building east of downtown Arlington Heights are having trouble getting a shovel in the ground, amid financing and soil contamination problems.
Liz Weston: Can you have too much credit?Let's bust that myth right upfront: The leading credit scoring formulas don't punish people for having too many accounts. And right now, having access to credit could be a lifeline.
Millennial Money: How to move safely during a pandemicMoving is stressful enough without throwing a pandemic into the mix. If you're considering moving, here's what to know from a financial standpoint, as well as tips to make moving day safer.
Trapped by the pandemic in a job that was supposed to be short-termKeep battling that urge to just run out the door. Even if this job is not your preferred situation, it's a better option now than joblessness.
Feder: Former Tribune publisher Tony Hunter to head McClatchy newspaper chainIn a stunning announcement Friday, former Chicago Tribune publisher Tony Hunter was named CEO of McClatchy Co., the bankrupt newspaper chain acquired in a court-approved sale last week by New Jersey hedge fund Chatham Asset Management. Since 2019 Hunter has been chairman of Revolution Enterprises, a multi-state cannabis firm based in west suburban Elmhurst.
It's now even easier to fire U.S. workers for what they sayNew rules for employers come from a sweeping National Labor Relations Board ruling on the punishment of a Black employee at General Motors Co. who alleges he was speaking up about discriminatory behavior.
Review: Five things Samsung fixed for its next folding phone, the Galaxy Z Fold2The good news for fans of the folding-screen trend is that Samsung is iterating its design quickly. The company said its designers "didn't compromise on anything" on the Z Fold2, setting expectations sky high. Here are five fixes -- and one big question that remains for now.
Review: I've worn Alexa-enabled glasses for two weeks. They're driving me bananas.All day long, Alexa whispers notifications from apps into my ear: "Slack." "Battery is at 20 percent." "Outlook." And more "Outlook." After two weeks with the $180 Echo Frames, I can report that you have to really love Alexa to want to wear it on your face.
Trump orders more unemployment pay, a payroll tax deferralPresident Donald Trump on Saturday signed four executive orders, bypassing Congress after negotations for a new coronavirus stimulus package failed.
With COVID crushing advertising, YouTubers turn to subscriptionsNot long ago, trying to charge viewers to watch your videos on YouTube would have been a career-ender. But a growing breed of YouTube creators are now making most of their income on the site by charging fans for subscriptions.
Show me "more than" the money: Unlocking transition objectives for business ownersIndividuals want to maximize the value received for their companies, but what about engaging in proactive transition planning to better position owners and their companies to attain "more than" the money?
Ron Onesti: Take me out to the ballgame … and concert hallBaseball is back … kind of! Who would have thought we would be going through all of this AND a 60-game season with no fans in the seats? This MUST be some sort of bad dream; somebody wake me up! But regardless, I love my baseball, and will take it any way I can get it!
Money sense: When memory fadesWith the incidence of Alzheimer's and other forms of cognitive decline projected to rise, this insight from Merrill Lynch Wealth Management could help you prepare financially for a day you hope never will come.
Suburban Business News
from the staffs of the Daily Herald and the Business Ledger
- BataviaHow Batavia plans to draw more visitors to North River Street businesses
- NewsFinancing, soil problems delay Hickory-Kensington apartments in Arlington Heights
- Naperville'Good old southern food' coming to Naperville
- Cook County4.5% of Cook County property taxes in suburbs go to TIF districts
- LisleModernized deck allows Lisle family to better enjoy their backyard
- PalatinePalatine boxing, martial arts business looking at new location
- NewsHigh-ranking federal health official visits Arlington Heights
- BataviaBatavia Boardwalk Shops could expand next season
- WheelingWheeling TGI Fridays restaurant closes
- Cook CountyCook County offering rent help to tenants facing eviction
- Hoffman EstatesThe Windy City Bulls recently receives the 2019-20 NBA G League Promotion of the Year Award.
- EducationDist. 214 superintendent, Dist. 21 board member will be on 'Beyond the Beltway'
- St. CharlesPheasant Run memorabilia will be available in online auction
- WinfieldWinfield schedules public hearing on Town Center redevelopment
- BusinessConstruction starts on new Brightmont Academy facility
Through the Film Magnifier: Bill Veeck, George Hamilton, Bridge Club, Stateville Prison riot and more
Through the Film Magnifier: Doug Buffone, Cloris Leachman, draft registration, aerobics class and more