Carbon monoxide poisoning suspected in Chicago woman's death

Updated 1/13/2021 9:35 AM

CHICAGO -- An apparent carbon monoxide leak in an apartment on Chicago's Northwest Side has left an elderly woman dead and an elderly man in critical condition, police said Wednesday.

The Chicago Tribune reported that the 75-year-old woman and the 80-year-old man were found shortly after 1 a.m. Wednesday on the floor of an apartment where police said there were high levels of carbon monoxide.


Both the woman and the man were taken to Community First Medical Center for treatment of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning. The woman, identified by the Cook County Medical Examiner's office as Sandra Perez, was pronounced dead a short time later. Police did not release the man's name.

Police said there was no indication of any foul play.

Article Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.