Ashes from fire pit spark St. Charles garage fire

 
 

The improper disposal of ashes from a fire pit sparked a blaze Sunday that damaged a St. Charles garage and a vehicle parked inside, officials said.

Crews responded about 1:21 p.m. to the 1100 block of Fern Avenue, where they found a detached garage "well involved" in fire, according to the St. Charles Fire Department. It was under control within about 20 minutes.

Officials said a neighbor discovered the fire, called 911 and attempted to extinguish it. Residents weren't home at the time.

The fire, which was deemed an accident, caused about $25,000 in damage to the garage, a vehicle and other contents, officials said. No injuries were reported.

0 Comments
 
Article Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.